18 (AU)

Warning this will touch on some mature themes
"Get the hell out of my way, shortstack."

"Or go around, idiot."

Soul and Maka, were the best of friends

"I would, but your fat ass is in the middle of the hallway."

"Then deal with it."

They had a special type of relationship. They were rude and sarcastic and down right awful to each other, yet they still managed to always make time for each other. Individually they were a polar opposites. Maka enjoyed a good book while Soul didn't even read the assigned material for class. Maka cared a lot about her grades while Soul just cared about passing with minimal effort. Although they had their differences they were similar in small ways too. They both had an attitude towards the world. They both loved the same songs and would share them on rare occasions. They both both loved motorcycles (Although Maka perfered a custom made Harley and Soul perfered a Kawasaki bike with his personal paint job).

Nothing about their relationship was convenient. They would spend hours debating on where they would hang out that coming weekend. Maka preferred the frozen yogurt place a few blocks from her house. Every night was open mic and she loved watch shy strangers conquer their fears because it gave her hope.
Soul on the other hand, preferred physically demanding activities like hiking or rock climbing. Being that he was incredibly fit, he often had to guide Maka through those activities. He liked to watch over her in those situations because he often felt like he didn't contribute enough to their relationship. Sure, he drove her to school and dropped her off at home, but is seemed to him that she was always the one that bailed him out of the trouble he often found himself in.

It was the weekend before Maka's 18th birthday and the pair were discussing what they were going to do to celebrate the occasion. Of course they were going to have a party with all their close friends, but it was a tradition to spend the day together on each others birthdays. Parties were always before or after the actual day.

"Come on Soul! My birthday falls on a Friday this year! All shops have a special going on!" Maka whined.

"Time out, Maka! Where is all this coming from? Did BlackStar put that idea in your head? Was it Liz or Patty? What are you thinking?" Soul replied, worry dripping out of every pore.

"No, I've always wanted one, but I wasn't of age. You have tons! What's the big deal?"

"Look, a tattoo is a permanent mark on your skin. I know you don't fear commitment, but you shouldn't make an impulsive decision like this. It's a bitch to take off or cover up if you don't like it." Soul knew that she wasn't impulsive. She had to have planned this out before she presented the idea to him. She probably already knew what shop she wanted to go to, how much it would cost, what she wanted and where. He knew she wouldn't let something like this slide, but something inside just made him feel like she wasn't being 100% honest as to why she wanted a tattoo.

"Look, it's whatever you want birthday girl, but you better tell me that detailed plan you got going on in your head about how we're gonna do this. You dad is going to kill me if he finds out I took you. He hates me enough as it is...not that it matters, but I don't feel like listening to his annoying voice try to scold me." Soul secretly hoped that Maka's father would start an argument. Maka and her father had a disfunctional relationship, to say the least and the amount of times Maka had gone crying to Soul had made him lose all respect for that man. Soul secretly enjoyed pissing off Maka's dad, but he knew that it made Maka upset, even if she would never admit it, so he always tried to play it cool around her father.