Who am I really?

Alex wasn't sure how long she sat there, long enough for Whitebeard to fall asleep, at which point she clambered off the old man's knee and went to stare out into the depths of the ocean. She was in no mood to be trying to sleep.

She didn't know what to feel, yet at the same time, something inside had changed. Alex still didn't like the old geezer, he had caused her a lot of suffering, even if he didn't know that. The girl just couldn't let go of that pain, it was dug too deep, but she had come to accept that he wouldn't hurt her.

So that was something...

"May I sit with you?" Alex jumped, it was the Jinbe guy. He was smiling down at her, he had made a point to come from her good side. She nodded, her gaze sank to the wooden barrier she was perched on. She hadn't even heard him jump up here, Alex had been so caught up in her thoughts.

Jinbe plonked down beside her, for a little while they were both silent, it wasn't an uncomfortable silence, just the opposite actually, this guy had a certain calmness about him that seemed contagious. Sighing Alex relaxed a bit, then snuck a glance at the Whale-shark, he was staring out into the endless blue, a slight smile on his face.

"You know something? I don't think all humans are bad" Jinbe mused, making Alex turn to him with a confused expression, sort of bewildered why he was saying this to her of all people. "When I was growing up all I ever saw was the bad side of humanity, I never questioned if there were good humans. And I think in some ways I wanted them all to be evil, it was much easier to blame them for everything, to hate them for all the wrongs that were committed down here. But now I see that's not the case."

"Namur's dad was awful... and he was Fishman. Not all parents are good, even if they are blood related." Alex said quietly, she didn't really get what Jinbe was trying to say, but she did feel the need to mention Namur.

"You are right, humans and Fishmen aren't so different, that was a fault of mine that seems so obvious now."

"Why are you telling me this?" She just had to ask, this whole conversation was so out of the blue, in fact Alex hadn't even spoken to Jinbe until now.

"I overheard your conversation with Whitebeard, I apologise for eavesdropping"

"Oh... I see. Which one?" She asked, one was definitely worse than the other. One she'd yelled about something quite pathetic and then the second one had had her crying pathetically.

"Both"

"Right... I guess that makes sense" The yelling had been rather loud and the crying had probably been whiny and ear splitting.
"He's right, warriors can cry... I was quite taken back by what he said. He may seem quite the rude, obnoxious and arrogant person, but I don't think he is... not inside."

"I- I just can't... I cannot forgive him." Alex whispered, a tremble in her voice.

"You haven't been with him for long? That's what I heard. But from the way you speak, it seems he's done something to you before this?"

Alex clamped her mouth shut, shaking her head as if to knock away the urge to tell him. Jinbe didn't push the matter, simply placing a hand on top of her bed of golden-locks to stop the swinging of her head.

"It's all right, you do not have to tell me."

She stilled, her shoulders hunched over, legs bent to her chest, setting her chin on her knees. Alex had made herself smaller, as if to hide from the question.

"I can't speak for him, nor can I read his mind, however I do believe he cares a great deal about you, not just him, but Namur and Haruta too. I know that's not much coming from an outsider. But a man wouldn't stay up for a week straight to insure the survival of someone he did not care for."