37. Wei Ying... do you?

"Kneel," Jiang YanLi ordered with a stern frown on her face. Jin Ping was fussing in her arms; Wei WuXian didn't think his martial sister's obvious frustration was because of the baby. Not when they were summoned like transgressors and immediately directed to kneel. "You two are being childish. I had thought you were bright young men. Moping like little children? Both of you? This ends now." She sat on the couch, and carefully turned Jin Ping's head up to burp her. "Wei WuXian.... Do you honestly think my brother and I would choose a spouse for you that you didn't already approve of? Do you honestly think we would consider the Sect's needs above your own wants and needs?"

"ShiJie..." he whined.

"And you, HanGuang-Jun.... You're almost worse than my shidi. Why would you ever think your brother would choose a random spouse for you without discussing it with you first?" Lan WangJi's ears turning pink was his only response. "Honestly? I am so disappointed in both of you! Practically the whole jianghe knows how you feel about each other! It amazes me that fathers are still sending marriage proposals to you two. What are they thinking? How can any decent father think, 'I want my daughter to marry a man who is completely infatuated with another man.' Poor girls. It's obvious that you love each other just from the way you look at each other. Those of us who have been unfortunate enough to see you sneaking kisses?" At Wei WuXian's shocked look, she sighed. "Yes, I've seen you kissing. More than once.

"In case my words aren't already clear, your betrothal agreements are to each other. Betrothal agreements between two Sect heirs must be written carefully which is why you aren't married already."

"Two?" Wei WuXian blinked at his sister. "Who's the other Sect heir?"

"Wei WuXian.... There are only four of us in this room. Who else can be the heir to YunmengJiang?" she snapped. "Especially considering that I'm already married, and Ping'Er wasn't born when we started negotiations."

"How should I know who is next in line to be the Sect leader?" Wei WuXian tried to understand. Tried and failed. He was still struggling to comprehend that his shijie had seen him, them, kissing. How embarrassing!

"You signed the papers years ago accepting the honor," JiangYanLi was frowning again. "Your memory is such a mess, XianXian. It has more holes in it than a fishing net."

"I did?" Wei WuXian wracked his brain trying to remember.

Lan WangJi rose smoothly to his feet. "Please excuse us, Jin XiaoFuren." He grabbed Wei WuXian's hand and practically dragged him out of the room. The first empty room they came across, he slammed the door shut behind them, locked it, and cast silencing talismans at the walls. "Wei Ying..." He was breathing hard and fast, "Wei Ying... do you?"

"Do I what?" Wei WuXian was still trying to make sense of what his martial sister had said. Marriage. Heir. Lan Zhan. Kissing. Marriage. "Did... did ShiJie really say the betrothal agreements are for us? Are we really to be married?"

"Is that what you want?" Lan WangJi's golden eyes were fierce.

"I want to marry you, Lan Zhan. I dreamed of making a life with you when I was fifteen.... Lan Zhan, I want to night hunt with you. I want yours to be the last face I see at night. I want yours to be the first face I wake up to. I want to sleep with you. That kind of sleeping. I told you I want to save my body for my wife? That's yours, husband not wife of course, but... It's for you. My body. My heart. My soul. All yours. I want... I want you to be mine.... Zhiji. Husband. Mine. My husband. Do you want to marry me, too?"

"Only you." Lan WangJi wrapped his arms around Wei Ying. "It's only ever been you. Marry me, Wei Ying. Be mine."

"Yes," Wei WuXian squeezed his love. "Yours. Of course I'm yours. I love you, Lan Zhan." Shouldn't we be kissing? "Kiss me. I need you to kiss me," he demanded.