iii.

iii. FIREFLIES

○ ○ ○

"WAIT. HOW DO YOU KNOW?"

Carter stepped away from Peter, gingerly pulling up her tank top to access the damage done to her abdomen. Deep claw marks traveled straight up from her naval to the lining of her black bra, blood covered her entire stomach, soaking the top of her pants. She sighed, pulling the shirt back down and turned to face Stiles.

    "I-I don't know," Carter began, grunting as a she felt another painful surge of warmth flash through her. "I just know that Derek found Erica's body. All of my instincts are screaming at me that she's dead."

    "Where are you going?" Stiles asked, watching as Carter wiped the blood off of her lips with the back of her hand, but a trail of red still led from her chin, down her neck and settled on her chest.

    "I have to find her," Carter announced, looking at him as though he were crazy. "If my sister's alive, and she's out there trying to kill people, that means I have to go out and try to find her."

    Peter snorted from his position beside Carter, "You won't last ten seconds out there with Boyd and Cora on a killing spree. You may heal quickly, but you're not a werewolf."

    "I don't care!" Carter shouted, tired of Peter's meaningless bullshit. "At least I'll die trying to save my sister. Seeing as though she's the only sister I've got left - remember, Peter? Remember how you killed the other one? I would rather die with them ten times over than be alone like you."

    And with that, she stormed out of the loft, not even glancing at Stiles as she rushed out the door.

○ ○ ○

    Carter stumbled through the Beacon Hills Preserve, trying to find a single werewolf in the dense forest. She needed to find someone; she knew that she wouldn't last long alone in the woods with two werewolves that had completely given into the full moon. But most of all, she needed to see Cora for her own eyes.

    "Got one!" the sound of a little boy's voice cut through the air.

    "What are you doing, dumbass?" another voice sounded, but it was a girl's voice, she sounded a little older than the boy. "You're supposed to put holes in the lid."

    Carter instantly began to follow their voices, stumbling upon a small clearing in the trees. She saw the two kids running around attempting to catch fireflies in glass jars, but immediately stopped when a low rumbling growl erupted. Carter's eyes widened, quickly scanning the horizon for the werewolf - Boyd. He was crouched on top of a large rock, staring hungrily at the small boy.

    The boy screamed as Boyd slowly and intimidatingly rose to his feet. Carter rushed over to the kids, quickly grabbing their wrists before yelling at them to run. They ran through the woods, trying hard to avoid tripping over rocks and stray branches, they kept running until they approached a small shed of some sort.

    Carter yanked the door open, "Hurry, get in," she ushered them inside before she followed and slammed the door shut and bolted the lock. The two kids clung to her body, shaking like loose leaves.

    "He's gonna get in. He's gonna get inside," the boy sobbed, his arms tightening around Carter's waist as she placed herself in front of the small children, attempting to block them from Boyd if he entered.