iv.

iv. UNLEASHED

○ ○ ○

"HEY, HALE! Nice ass!"

A senior shouted from the small group of assholes from the lacrosse teem. Carter rolled her eyes, not really being in the mood to say anything; she had been too busy trying to figure out how she was going to be able to actually run with cross-country and the lacrosse team. The whole reason she was even here, was because Scott and Stiles wanted to keep a close eye on her while someone was running around sacrificing people.

Carter's entire body was still sore from the other night; it was like her body wasn't allowing her injuries to completely heal even though Derek's wounds had. There was a persistent pain just beneath the surface of her skin.

She stretched her arms across her body, limbering up as she readied herself. She felt eyes burning holes into her back, at first she thought it was just the group of guys behind her, but when she briefly glanced over her shoulder she noticed that it was a different set of eyes. The twins were staring at her, as though she were their experiment.

They moved closer, and she instantly thought that they were going to grab her. Instead, they moved past her as they headed toward the front. Their arms rubbed against Carter's waist, as she watched the twins advance toward Isaac.

Coach Finstock suddenly blew hard on his whistle.

Carter turned to see Scott approaching her, the two of them grabbing ahold of Isaac's shoulder before he could sprint off. "Isaac?"

"It's them," Isaac confirmed before shoving Carter and Scott's hands off so that he could run after the two boys.

Carter's eyes went wide, sharing a look with Scott before rushing off after the curled-haired Beta, "Carter, Isaac, wait!" Scott called after them.

Isaac used his supernatural speed to zip right past the rest of team, while Scott and Carter chased after him. Her entire body ached, the sore spots on her upper body feeling as though they were being reopened. Carter loved running, she had taken a love for the sport back when she lived in New York, and it's not like she wasn't in shape to run, she just wasn't in the best condition to be doing so.

They were advancing on Isaac, but when he turned another corner on the trail, the twins had disappeared. Isaac spun in circles in search for them, he could faintly hear Scott and Carter approaching from the distance. Suddenly, two pairs of hands were on him before he went tumbling down a small hill. The twins grabbed Isaac's arms, forcing him into a kneeling position.

"Ethan, I always forget, how many bones in the human body?" one of them asked.

"I don't know, Aiden. Let's count," Ethan panted, looking up at his brother. Just as he went to stomp on Isaac's leg, Scott rushed forward and slammed his fist into Ethan's left cheek.

"That's one," Scott chirped.

Carter crossed her arms, leaning up against a nearby tree watching as all four of the teenage boys bared their claws and fangs. Two pairs of gold eyes penetrated two pairs of red. Before anyone could advance, the sound of a girl screaming ripped through the air.

The five of them quickly rushed down the trail until they caught sight of the rest of team, they were standing around a tree. Carter squinted her eyes, she was the furthest away and couldn't see clearly from her distance, moving closer to try and see what it was. She wished she hadn't. As soon as she saw the body, an instinctive gasp fell from her lips as she crashed into Scott and Stiles. A teenage boy was tied down to the trunk of the tree by a thin-leather leash around his neck.