viii.

viii. CURRENTS

○ ○ ○

CARTER THOUGHT HER entire body was going to explode; they were going to have to call in a hazmat team to scrape her organs off the walls.

She never felt so much anger toward one person in her life, as she stood in front of the man with a hard glare on her face. She didn't even know what to do with herself, her stance changes every other second.

"Okay, let me get this straight," Carter began, making dramatic hand gestures by her sides. "While I was going insane, thinking that you were mauled by some incompetent Alpha, you were actually rolling around in the sheets with my English teacher? And you didn't even bother to call me to tell me that you had actually been alive this entire fucking time!" Carter snapped, her throat and chest burned from the amount of anger she was forcing in her voice.

Derek Hale stood in front of her with a pained expression. He had been anxiously waiting for Carter's silent glares to explode into a whirl wind of profanities. Cora was in the corner of the room, opting to remain silent as the pair fought. That had been the first time the three had been in the same room together since Carter uninvited herself from the loft after Isaac had been kicked out.

"Carter-"

"Don't "Carter" me," She hissed, her brown eyes darkening with anger as she moved closer to him. "Do you have any idea what happened last night? What I heard? What I thought about doing to myself? Scott, Isaac, and Boyd tried to kill themselves last night!"

"Carter, I'm sorry," Derek sighed, his hands running over his face.

Carter's eyes narrowed into slits, and before Derek could react, there was an intense stinging sensation falling across his right cheek. He didn't need to open his eyes to envision what happened and what she looked like; Carter's left hand outstretched as her eyes filled with fury.

His eyes slowly fluttered open, "I deserved that."

"You deserve a hell-of-a-lot more than a simple slap to the face," Carter let out a bitter laugh.

Whether she felt the slap or not, it still hurt Carter just as much as it hurt Derek.

He wrapped his arms tightly around the girl, squeezing her to his chest. Derek knew what he did was wrong, he should have called her the second he was up and moving around - he should've called to see if she was okay physically and emotionally.

Carter's sanity was slowly slipping from her fingers; he could see it in her eyes.

Derek saw how much that motel had broken Carter. Derek didn't need to ask to know that she heard something, thought about something awful, something that drastically changed everything in her life. Derek had always been the one that saw through Carter's tough exterior the easiest - Carter would never admit it, but he did and she knew why it was so easy for him. They were the same, through and through.

Carter couldn't help but let her lips curl slightly in anger at the sight of Jennifer Blake. All of the anger and frustration she had held toward Derek, was now targeted on the brunette teacher that had kept her brother from telling her that he was alive.

"Good morning, as you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing - I mean, sick. Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place." Ms. Blake announced, Carter's eyes narrowing at the teacher. "Okay, so, let's get started, shall we?"