seventeen; galvanize

GALVANIZE

It was officially Mischief Day/Night.

It had been something to be celebrated by seemingly every citizen in the town, finding themselves participating in childlike antics for the twenty-four hours before October 31st. It was also the night when Scott and Stiles prank Finstock until he wanted to quit teaching.

The whole idea of Halloween seemed pointless and childish to Carter, whether it be the fact that people dressed up in ridiculous costumes or because it was always the one holiday that reminded her of the very real creatures that lurked in the darkness.

Carter pulled Scott's spare motorcycle helmet off her head, shaking out her luscious brown curls before letting out a pleased sigh. Scott glanced back at her, the couple seated on the still bike that was now parked in the parking lot of Beacon Hills High School.

"I think I'm in love with your bike," Carter announced. "It's official, I'm sorry, Scott - but I'm breaking up with you and I'm going to start dating your motorcycle."

Scott laughed, swiftly climbing off before holding his hand out and assisting her off the bike. It wasn't that she was short and actually needed assistance, she was quite tall, but he knew that it made her smile and he fawned over the feeling he got when he did it.

"I hope you're not serious."

"Oh, I'm serious, all right," Carter continued, leaning into Scott's side as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "I mean, what's not to love? It's got height, outstanding leadership qualities, dark hair, charming personality, is a true Alpha - wait, those are all the things that describe you, oops."

"Well, I'm honored to know that you admire so many things about me," Scott mused, lowering his head and pressing his lips against the corner of her mouth. Carter's body erupted with warmth, feeling the heat rise up the back of her neck.

But suddenly, his grin fell from his face when he saw Ethan and Aiden pull into the parking lot on their identical motorcycles, smug looks on their faces as they parked their bikes next to Scott's.

Scott and Carter both stopped in their stride, the couple glancing at one another as they tried to figure out what exactly was going on. The twins had gone MIA after they beat the shit out of Carter and Scott, and then Carter had this strange fire come out of her hands and she kicked Aiden's ass.

Scott hesitantly led Carter over toward Aiden and Ethan, the four of them facing one another. Scott's arm was permanently slung over her shoulders, and Carter had no intentions on pulling away from him. She wanted to allow him to make her happy because everything else was crashing around her. Had her life not been so screwed up, and had her family still been alive, maybe she wouldn't have been so needy about clinging onto any sliver of happiness that made its way into her life.

Instead, a different fate had been placed before her.

Her eyes narrowed at the two figures in front of her, still pissed about what they did back at Derek's loft.

"You're back in school?" Scott asked.

Ethan shook his head, his brooding brother stationed next to him as he explained: "No, just to talk."

"Oh," Stiles scoffed from behind them, moving to stand next to Carter. "That's kind of a change of pace for you guys. Seeing as how usually, you're just hurting, maiming, and killing."