Star of a Daytime Soap Opera

Caroline's POV:

Silence.

I think it may have been worse than his harsh words.

I don't know why you're being all nice to everyone lately. So you can stop acting already. His ruthless words repeated in my brain over and over.

Is that what he really thinks I'm doing? Acting? Then again, it really shouldn't have surprised me. Up until a few days ago, I was Jennifer. Or was Jennifer me? No. It was my body with Jennifer's brain. Or at least that's what everyone remembers. I would probably think the same thing if Jennifer suddenly started being nice.

"I'm sorry I drank that beer, Scott. Please don't feel guilty. It was a stupid decision on my part." I hoped that would help a little. Right now he seemed bipolar. One second he seemed like he was having a good time, and now he was acting like he hated me.

He shook his head, and cast his eyes down, still looking perturbed. "No. It's not that. It's something I did." he said though his teeth.

"What did you do?" I asked. His jaw clenched.

"Something I shouldn't have." he sighed, and shifted in his seat.

"You can talk to me about if you-" my lack of experience with guys stuck out like a sore thumb as I pushed him over the edge, not even realizing how he may react because of my still slightly drunken stupor.

"No!" he almost shouted, raising his hands in frustration. The sudden outburst made me flinch and left me speechless.

His chest rose and fell rapidly, almost a look of anger masking his face.

I tuned Scott out, and looked out the passenger window at the buildings flying by in a blur of dark shapes and an occasional flash of light from a street lamp.

The houses began to get more and more expensive looking as we went further down the street. I even recognized a few from when I went to school. We were definitely close to my house.

I wished this was like a movie, where the awkwardness would magically melt away with a simple apology and monologue of your feelings. But unfortunately this was reality, where peoples' emotions had the minority over logical thinking.

Or least I'm pretty sure it was reality.

But I knew one thing I knew for sure, and that was that silence wasn't helping this tense situation. Even though Scott was just a foot away, and I could easily just reach over and touch him, his mind seemed to be lightyears away, in another state of mind. His eyebrows were drawn together, his jaw was clenched, and he was tapping his fingers on his thigh as was driving.

If only I could get inside your head, and figure out what you're thinking. I studied his rigid face.

If it's not me, then what's bugging you? Are you just lying? Am I just crazy? I looked away so he wouldn't think I was creeping on him. That would be all I needed after this miserable night.

I was jolted out of my thoughts by his hand reaching over in my direction. He pushed one of the many buttons glowing with a blue light on his high-tech car, and the radio started playing softly.

"I can fake a smile..." Christina Perri's passionate voice made my eyes go wide. I liked the song, but for the moment, I really wished she would shut up.

I hoped Scott was too engrossed in his own thoughts to notice the song that happened to come on, one that would probably piss him off even more if that's even possible.

"I can force a laugh..." the song continued.

He gripped the steering wheel, and his eyes darted from side to side. He knew what the song was going to say.