An Awkward Lunchline

Caroline's POV:

It's been a whole two days since I got this bracelet from Selene, and it hasn't turned even a little bit purple. In fact, I think it actually turned a brighter shade of red.

Is it me making things worse?

I thought about my selfish desires to keep up this ridiculous charade, and cringed at the bracelet.

No. Knowing how much Jennifer hates me, it's probably her. I thought, making my way through the crowds to get to the cafeteria.

It was really nice to not have to hunt for a seat. Sometimes the seat Jocelyn and I usually sat at was taken by the time we got there. But that was just one more thing to add to the list of reasons to stay like this. They always saved a spot for me without fail, and nobody ever dared to take it.

I didn't want to push or shove, but I had to nudge everyone a little to get by. What can I say? I was really hungry, okay.

Thankfully, there weren't too many people in line yet. I was starving, and I hadn't checked the lunch schedule yet, but from the smell of the room, I was starting to think maybe I'd pass on lunch.

That's okay, I guess. Breanne will be happy. She's always saying I eat too much, anyway.

I decided to think on the positive side despite my growling stomach, when I felt someone looking at me, and they were right behind me, whoever they were.

I turned around and met gaze of someone I was not expecting at all.

"Hi Josh." I greeted, a little confused.

"Hey." he smiled warmly.

I rubbed my head at the memory of the last time we talked.

"What's up?" he asked, hoping I would say something too. I didn't know why, I didn't really know him at all except that I hit my head in a locker in front of him, and that he was Scott's friend.

"Nothing. Just... Getting lunch, hehe." I had to add that awkward laugh at the end to make things even worse.

I decided I would eat after all when I saw the macaroni and cheese through the glass. It wasn't too bad for cafeteria food.

"Where are the lunch ladies?" Josh asked, looking over the counter.

One of the little old women came out with a paper and hung it up for everyone to see.

It said "back in five" in bold red letters.

"What? Seriously?!" he lifted his hands, and let them fall back in frustration. "It's fine. I wanted to talk to you, anyway." his mood suddenly shifted from upset to normal.

"Me? W-why?" at this point, I really just wanted to run away, even if it meant I had to leave my spot at the front of the line, but I didn't want to look like a coward. I decided to stand my ground.

"I wanted to ask for your opinion on something." he stroked his chin in thought.

"Okay..." I really didn't understand why my opinion mattered.

Because Jennifer's opinion mattered. I remembered.

"I wanted to ask whether I should have Bud Light or Budweiser at my party on Friday."

"Well, you really asked the wrong person. I don't know anything about liquor, or your party, for that matter." Of all the things to ask me, it had to be that.

I probably look really stupid, now. Not that I didn't before, but still.

"What? You didn't know about my party?" he asked, seeming shocked that I didn't know. Should I have?