Chapter 13

A/N: I am so sorry for the massive gap of time between this chapter and the last, the motivation I had to draw for it suddenly went down the drain and I just couldn't get it back. Anyway, it's here now, and I hope you enjoy!

TW for those who might need it: Light violence

--

The week flew by, and soon it was time for the Sports Festival. Class 1-A was in their waiting room, chatting amongst themselves. Vallerie was texting Teruhashi, trying to assure her that she would be fine, there was nothing to worry about. They ended up giving in, in the end, turning off their phone to talk to their own class. Vallerie put her phone back in her locker when the door flew open. "Everyone, get your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" Iida's voice boomed within the small room. It was almost time. Vallerie sat back down next to Momo and Jirou, the girl with the purple hair was fidgeting with her ear jacks.

"Is anyone else nervous?" Momo was the first to respond. "I certainly am. I'm afraid I'm not as confident in myself as I'd like to be, even after all that training." She sighed. Vallerie leaned forward, resting their head on their hands. "I'm sure we'll all be fine. Winning is important, but don't forget to put on a show. You can still get scouted if you're not on the podium." Jirou looked like she was about to say something else when everyone's heads turned. Todoroki had approached Midoriya, but Vallerie got a hunch that it wasn't for a pep talk. "From an objective standpoint, I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you." Well, Vallerie could take one look at their energies and know that wasn't true. Sure in terms of training, maybe. But Midoriya's raw power overshot Todoroki by a lot. Midoriya lowered his head, "Yeah." He sighed.

"However, you got All Might in your corner helping you out. I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two, but know that I will beat you."

Wow. Todoroki was as intense as ever. Vallerie wondered if maybe that's how she came across to other people. Yikes. Kaminari leaned back in his seat, "What's with all the declarations of war lately?" He asked as Kirishima got out of the chair behind him. He placed a hand on Todoroki's shoulder, "Yeah, why are ya picking a fight all of the sudden? And right before we get started." Kirshima's hand was casted off, "We're not here to be each other's friends." came Todoroki's cold response. Which was fair, the point of school was to learn. But Adeline had also informed her that it was a place where many young people developed long bonds with each other. Todoroki stalked off. "Don't forget this isn't a team effort."

Midoriya stopped him. "Wait a second Todoroki. I don't know what's going through your head, or why you need to tell me that you'll beat me, and yeah of course you're better than me, in fact you probably have way more potential than anyone in the Hero course." Excuse me? Vallerie was literally right there. Not to mention Teruhashi, who Vallerie bet could wipe the floor with Todoroki. All it took was a giant dragon form and a bite down and he would be lizard chow. "That's why you got in so easily." Kirishima stepped in, "Midoriya, maybe you're being a little hard on yourself, and us."

Vallerie looked around the room, did no one else find this weird? Couldn't they take this outside like normal people? She felt like a background character. "No, he's right, you guys." Said Midoriya, apparently still going. "All the other courses, they're coming at us with everything they got." And? Vallerie would throw them to the figurative wolves. Or the literal ones if she contacted Adeline. "You're all going to have to fight to stand out. And I'll be aiming for the top too."

Todoroki stared at him, "Fine." He said.

Vallerie hoped to literally anything that might be out there that this never happened again. She ought to ask Teruhashi if her classmates gave random speeches out of nowhere.