Chapter 9 : Blazer

***

We left the town by 9 and its already 11 AM and I am already late for my office. Very late.

I might have taken a day off for the swirling hours of yesterday I went through which are still hard to process but Cooper declined my idea of taking a leave today and reminded me of an important meeting today with 'Cripps and Sons' publicity agency on promoting their brand in our magazine.

The meeting is on sharp 11:30 and New Yorks traffic is back again, it becomes way impossible to reach by 30 minutes when I have to change my clothes too. I prepare a mental time plan in my mind.

Okay, 11 right now and it would take minimum 25 minutes to reach my office. So, I have an extra of 5 minutes left to change.

A big problem is that my apartment is in opposite direction of my office although not too far but if I can be precise, it would take almost 40 minutes to reach there from here and another 20 minutes to go towards my office.

Impossible. I can't go to my apartment.

"Austin, I need to reach within 30 minutes to my Office.” I said instantly.

"Got it" he speeds up the car.

"I have to change as well” I say, almost panicking. He doesn't react. "I need to go my apartment." I said making emphasis on my clothes as I gesture my daggy clothes.

"Didn't you calculate that it would add up 10 mins to the normal route to office and another 20 minutes from your apartment back to the office. You changing clothes doesn't add up.” He spoke.

It left a shocker to me. He paid attention to my counting on fingers and eye rolls as I did my basic arithmetic.

"Yeah, I know but you know, I can't go a professional meeting with...And I would at least need a blazer...”

Then I remember Tate, Yes, she can definitely help me. Why didnt I think of my lovely saviour. She has saved me before a lot more times before I ever tripped on my high heels and she waited for me for 10 minutes at very least outside the office. Even if I got late her rolls of eyes and a long sigh was her greatest irritated reaction.

“Wait up, I should call my friend she might have try to find something for me." As I call her.

She immediately picks up and says, "Alessia, where are you? you know that I have my meeting in 5 minutes with foxtail agency. Where are you? I need to get to office and I am waiting for you for almost an hour now.” I can't seem to say anything. She has done enough. She waited for me enough.

I took a deep breath and said, "I am coming up, caught up somewhere, you go in with your meeting, I am good okay." She seems to notice something. A change of tone.

"You okay Alessia?... I - Ill wait for you, okay? 2 more minutes." Tates tone became soft and comforting.

She is a sweetheart to me. She is the only one with whom I can share my imperfections, I can't do this to her. I can't ask for help right now at this moment when she herself is caught up in her own thing. Her important meeting.

"I am fine but it would take more than 10 minutes for me to reach, you must go inside. I have an important meeting too, it would be hard for me to meet you up first, I ...I hope you understand.” I say.

As I think about my horrible and unprofessional look in the meeting. I am already trying to fit my position in the office as an active worker and not just a symbolic presence and I can never stand those rubbish nicknames from my boss.

No matter how late or imperfect I am, I always kept my professionalism high when it comes to my attire and my way to deal with customers. At least that was something, I was highly proud of to push myself up and my confidence. Was.