6| Argue of Religion

Take Me To Church
Argue of Religion (Chpt. 6)
———

"What else could it be, Dean?" Salem says. Her and her brother had been arguing over the same thing for a half an hour now, and she was growing impatient. She leaned against the wall, crossing her arms and letting out a sigh. "I get you're not religious-"

"You're right." Dean says, furrowing his brows.
He gives his sister a look she can't quite pin point as his lips curl into almost an amused smile. "And yet you're still trying to push this whole angel crap on me."

"No I'm not..." Salem sighs. "I understand you're not religious, but religion was there for me when nobody else was... so don't try and-"

"I don't care if you believe in the man upstairs or the angels... but that man in that warehouse was not an Angel." Dean says. He's growing just as impatient. He's raising his voice, yet his lips still remain curled into an amused smile. He almost laughs. "And you're so gullible that you believed him."

"You saw what he did to Bobby!" Salem yells. She raises her voice too, but rather than smiling she furrows her brows in frustration. "This is becoming less and less about faith... and more and more about proof."

"Proof?" Dean scoffs. "Proof of what?"

"That god is out there." She responds. "And he cares!"

"Yeah- cares so much about a dick like me instead of the innocent people that are dying because of the things we hunt." He says, shaking his head more.

Salems no longer leaning against the wall. She's now pacing, pressing her hand to her forehead to calm herself down. She exhales a deep shaky breath and turns to Dean, her voice quiet yet again.

"What do you think it is?" She asks.

Dean pauses, dropping his gaze to the floor. "I'm not sure what can even-"

"Pull you out of hell?"

This doesn't come from Salem or Dean, so they look up, turning their head in the direction of voice. Sam stands in the doorway, arms crossed. He's been there awhile. Salem can tell by the smirk on his lips.

"Yeah." Dean says, his voice deflated.

"Other than an angel... not much I suppose." Sam says, crossing the room and sitting on the desk that was just a few feet from Dean.

"You're on the angel boat too?" Dean scoffs.

"Dean." Sam says, shaking his head. "I mean. I'm just looking at the facts. Lucifer himself was an angel at one point. Now he's the devil. You believe he exists, don't you?"

"No." Dean says, his tone suggesting it was obvious. "He's just a myth."

"Think about it Dean." Salem says, turning the conversation back to the topic it was before. "Angels can do just about anything. They heal. They fight. They do so much more and they do it all by the orders of God." She sighs. "They're like God's... warriors." She continues. "They do what he commands... and if you're alive because of an angel... It's God who wants you alive."

Dean swallows the lump in his throat, sitting on the desk right beside Sam. He runs a hand down his face and sighs.

"I could get behind the angel thing maybe. But God?"

Salem's taken aback slightly.

"Why would he command that me- of all people- be saved? I mean... with the amount of chicks I've ditched."

"He obviously see's something." Salem says, offering a broken smile. "Castiel said he had something planned."

"What could he possibly see?" Dean says, raising his tone again. He slides of the desk and is now pacing similarly to how Salem had been just a moment ago. "Sure I've saved some people. But I've done bad things too. If not enough to make me a bad person... then at least enough to balance things out. I'm not a good person, Salem. If anything I'm neutral."

"Have you ever heard of this little thing called asking for forgiveness?" Salem says, furrowing her brows.

Dean rolls his eyes. "Yeah- sure. That's like me killing someone's dog and then saying sorry."

Salem groans. "You're fucking annoying, you know that?"

"No- you know what? Please. Please explain to me how I should ask to forgiveness. How should I get god to listen to my pitiful excuse of becoming a better person?" His tone is sarcastic and getting on Salem's nerves.

"He always hears you, Dean." Salem says. "That doesn't mean he has to respond." She sighs, unsure how to explain it to someone so stubborn.

"Great- so he's a creep now?"

Salem rolls her eyes.

"Look can we stop arguing about religion?" Sam says. "It shouldn't matter if you don't believe in angels or god. You're back."

Dean sighs, sending a glance toward his sister as if to make sure she'd agree to stop the arguing.

"And that's all that matters."

Sorry for such a short chapter, but it stopped at kind of an awkward spot

-Kaitlyn