c4

"So..."

"So?"

"I'm going on a date with Haerin this weekend." Danielle said sheepishly.

"Really?!" Despite feeling so hollow inside, Hanni was actually happy for her best friend. Danielle has been on and off regarding the idea of dating a doctor for a while. She said she only has one heart and it was very fragile and she wasn't up for another heartbreak for whatever reason.

Minji told her about how miserable and lonely Haerin was since her messy break up with Yuna. Hanni thought that Haerin was nice regardless of the scandal. Besides, everybody deserves a second chance. Haerin made a terrible mistake didn't mean she was a terrible person. She had made it clear to the plastic surgeon about Danielle and she would not push them to anything since it wasn't her business but she would not stay silent should the harmless texting happen again.

"Yeah, she seems fun." Danielle blushed.

"I mean, I'm not only looking for fun." She quickly added.

"I'm not totally ready for a serious - full commitment relationship yet but I won't play her. I swear I will not do that."

"I trust you, Danielle." Hanni smiled reassuringly.

"Have fun on your date! And don't forget to keep me updated." She teased, earning the biggest grin from her friend.

They were discussing outfits, what to do and not to do on Danielle's date when Hanni's phone beeped on the table. She peeked the device, staring at it for a moment then sighed. Danielle noticed the switch of the mood in an instant.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Minji and I are fighting and she chooses to drink it off again rather than solve it with me." Hanni tossed her phone after reading the text her wife sent. She looked away and bit her lips.

"Here I thought she loved me."

"Han, don't say that." Danielle said softly.

"Maybe she needs space."

"Or maybe she finally regrets marrying me because I can't give what she wants."

"Come on, you know her better than this." Her friend consoled her.

"I'm tired Dani." She finally shed a tear.

"I can't always be the one who surrenders and makes peace when everything goes wrong. Does she even know how this pregnancy thing affects me? Does she even care?"

"Han-”

"Whatever." Hanni wiped her tears.

"She can have it her way. I have a court to attend." She grabbed her purse and documents as she stormed out the door, pressing whatever feeling was raging inside her chest.

******

The sound of the door handle made Hanni lift her eyes from the book she was currently reading. She didn't move an inch although Minji was persistently knocking the door, begging her to open up. She was pretending to be asleep. As much as she disliked the idea of sleeping alone, being in the same room with Minji was too much right now. Her wife wasn't home last night because Minjeong took Minji to her apartment. Hanni was angry and she had the right to be.

It was past midnight when the sleepiness finally kicked in. She closed her book, turned off the bad lamp and took the blanket to cover her body.

By the time Hanni woke up a few hours later, she was feeling better. She found Minji with her mouth wide open on the couch, snoring lightly. She was still wearing her socks. There were snakes everywhere. The TV still on, showing the morning news.