c25

Months later....

Hanni was watching Minji asleep. Her shoulder rose up and down in slow motion as her brows knitted slightly. She was far below the dreamland. Her nightmare rarely occurred since she went to see the shrink. The doctor prescribed her two types of medicine. Hanni had done her research although she didn't understand much. So Minji's doctor gave her two antidepressant agents but somehow they worked in different systems... or something. Either way, the drugs did its job well.

In the beginning, Minji had to visit the psychiatrist two times a week. Now that she was getting better, he only asked Minji to come for one session every month. Sometimes Minji would mention her conversation with the shrink, although there were times she also avoided talking about it. Hanni played along with Minji's push and pull game. Minji was still in the process of healing, the last thing Hanni wanted was pressing the wrong button and driving her away.

That was why she also didn't say anything when Minji blatantly lied to her regarding her work. Her shrink had cleared her to do surgery almost a month ago. Apparently, she never set a foot in the OR let alone performed a surgery. Hanni had asked, casually, about the cases she got in a day. And Minji answered, as casually, that there were so many interesting cases she found.

So Hanni got curious.

One afternoon, when she had just finished a meeting with a potential client, she dialed Ryujin's number.

"I have not seen her in the OR, Han. Her name is never on board."

"Are you sure?"

"She's not even in the ER. I think she also doesn't go to the policlinic."

"But she said..."

Ryujin sighed at the end of the phone. "She teaches more skills lab for interns and residents. She even takes my duty... and Haerin's, too. I guess. She places her name in every cardio residents' cases, referats, leaving one or two for Karina and Do. She has not put her hand on a real patient, Hanni."

Then Hanni stopped the work talk altogether. Obviously, Minji was not ready. As much as she tried to disguise it, she couldn't. Hanni didn't blame her, and she would never force Minji to suck it up and deal with her responsibility as a doctor.

On the brighter side, Minji spent more time with her and the triplets. They went to the park more, once a week dinner out became thrice a week new restaurant hunting. No random call in the middle of the night from the hospital. Minji's phone and pager had become surprisingly quiet.

"Left anterior descending artery," Minji muttered. "Anastomosis.."

She put her palm on Minji's cheek, stroking the soft skin in circular motion. Minji stirred under her touch. She stopped mumbling incoherent words, swimming back to her peaceful dream.

Hanni scooted closer to Minji. She took her wife's arm and placed it around her waist. And at last, she also went to sleep.

*******

"Minji-ssi!"

The cardiac surgeon stopped at her track.

"Yes?"

"Where are you going?" Karina walked by her side.

"Skills lab."

"Again?"

"I have responsibilities, Rina." Minji smiled a little.

"Why? Do you need something from me?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. I need your help."