c13

"Kim Minji! What the hell is this?!" Haerin barged into Minji's office roughly.

"Explain!" The plastic surgeon slammed a folder to Minji's desk with a furious expression all over her face.

Minji knew exactly what was in that file. Calmly, she asked Haerin to take a seat.

"Oh I'm not going to sit down before you give the clearest reason why you did this." She spoke sternly.

"I resign from the research." Minji stated lowly.

"The board had approved."

"I've noticed." Haerin greeted her teeth angrily.

"Tell me something I don't know."

Minji let out a deep breath. She reached for her phone in the drawer, scrolling the gallery application. She stopped at the certain video then showed it to Haerin.

"Don't distract me, Minji."

"They are the reason." Minji stayed put. She stared at the device longingly, feeling her heart break all over again.

"I can't do this anymore," she spoke absentmindedly.

"Minji, I begged my uncle to find you those funds so as not to get you to give up halfway." Haerin closed her eyes, pressing the urge to yell at her friend.

"What will I get from this project, Haerin?

"What will you get?!" She finally shouted.

"What will you get, you ask?! People's lives, Minji! Those freaking human being's lives!"

"By sacrifice mine?" Minji sighed heavily.

"I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life alone, Haerin. I thought I'd never have a family to come home to. I thought no one would look out for me, no one would ask for my presence. So I thought, why didn't I do something useful?"

"Min-”

"Then I met my wife. Then we had the triplets. I was selfish, I was greedy, I wanted to have everything. So I pushed through. I've avoided my heart's warning over and over." Minji locked her eyes with Haerin's.

"Name, Haerin. People will know my name. They'd worship me for my creation. What I'd get for myself is fame. Would it be worthy enough, if I choose this over my family?" Minji shook her head regretfully.

"No, Haerin, it would not. And I'm losing them now."

She looked at Minji intensely. Her best friend was drowning in guilt. Haerin's anger subsided. She then sat on the leather chair, words stuck in her throat.

"As a colleague, I deeply apologize. After all you've done for me, I should've talked to you first. Be mad at me, punish me, it's fine. But as your friend, I ask you to understand. I bet something I couldn't afford to lose."

For a while, no one said anything. Haerin clenched her jaw. She was obviously disappointed at Minji. She had thrown her pride to step on something that had nothing to do with her in the first place. To think she had licked those funders' ass to pour money to Minji's project extremely troubled her.

"You choose Do over Yujin?"

"I've talked to Yujin. She didn't want it. So Do is all I have. I'd still give my contribution in this project, just not directly involved. I'd help him should he need anything from me."

Haerin stood up. She scratched the side of her face, sighing, then made her way out. At the doorway, Haerin stopped. She turned to Minji, opening and closing her mouth. She finally said, "As a colleague, I am disappointed in you. I sternly state this is a very dumb, incredibly irresponsible move." Haerin pointed her index finger to Minji irritatingly, "just make sure Do is doing his job right. And be thankful I love Hanni, Aorta, Artery, and Venous."