c22

"Hanni, wait." Ryujin stopped the excited woman before they entered the ICU room.

"You got to understand something."

"W-what is it?" Hanni suddenly panicked.

"Ryujin, you said she's fine!"

"She is," Ryujin nodded eagerly.

"What I'm about to say is... don't give her a flying hug. Be gentle and be careful because it's just been five days. She's not strong enough and I certainly don't want to go back to the OR to fix the stiches."

"Oh." Hanni smiled in relief.

"Well, then I'd give you the flying hug." The woman jumped and squeezed Ryujin tightly.

"Thank you, Ryu. Thank you for saving Minji. I can never repay you for it."

"You're most welcome, Han. She's my best friend. Of course I'll do anything to help her." The general surgeon patted Hanni's back softly.

"Let's go."

Both women wore the gown and washed their hands using alcohol before they stepped into the cold space. Minji's room was at the end of the first row. They cautiously walked without making noise. Most patients were either sleeping or unfortunately still in coma, the nurses were all busy with their work. Some of them smiled and bowed a little when they passed by the doctor.

As they drew nearer, Yujin walked out from Minji's room with the biggest grin. She waved at Ryujin and Hanni delightedly then ran towards them.

"That dumbass- I mean Minji!" Yujin quickly covered her mouth and corrected her saying, "is finally awake!"

"I know. I was here!"

"Ready to see her, Han?"

"As ready as I'd ever be." Hanni nodded gratefully.

When the glass door slid open, Minji's eyes were still closed. Yujin had informed Hanni that the sedative effects of the drugs were still in Minji's system. She'd be drowsy most of the time until it's gone completely.

Hanni steadily approached Minji's side. There were no signs Minji was aware of her presence. Her shoulders rose up and down gently. Hanni smiled at the sight. She touched Minji's temple with her knuckles softly.

"Hey, Baby."

Minji stirred a bit, sensing the light brush. Gradually, she opened her eyes. She blinked a few times before a smile formed upon her lips.

"Am I in heaven?"

"God no," Hanni shook her head.

"You're on earth, Baby."

"Aren't you the angel?" Minji chuckled and grunted when the pain suddenly stabbed her stomach.

"You okay?!"

"Urg... too early for a laugh, I guess."

"Take it easy, Hon."

Hanni gently caressed Minji's abdomen, feeling the thick gauze dressing under Minji's gown. Deliberately, Minji lifted her heavy hand and placed it on her wife's.

"Did I sleep for too long?"

Hanni met Minji's mellow gaze. She could see the guilt and concern there. Hanni was grateful but this was also overwhelming. It felt surreal. Minji was awake. She had opened her yes, she held her hand, making a light joke, as if nothing bad happened. Should she wake up realising that it was just a dream, she'd be crazy for real.

"Baby?"

She bit her lip. "It doesn't matter now, Minji. You're awake, y you're not leaving me and that's all I ask for."