c16

"Artery and Venous are in the lobby with Mom. Do you want to see them?"

"Yeah," Hanni stole a quick peck on the sleeping boy's cheek then slipped into the slippers.

"How are they?"

"They miss Aorta and you. They've been asking you guys nonstop." Minji answered as she checked the IV line.

"Did you get any sleep last night?"

"I did." Hanni replied from the bathroom. After washing her face and putting a light makeup on, she changed her clothes.

"Did you?"

"At dawn but sleep nonetheless." Minji approached Hanni slowly. Tilting her head to the side, she spoke softly, "Aorta will be fine. He'll get better."

Hanni nodded but said no comment. The guilt had not left her alone. If only she had caught the sign earlier, Aorta wouldn't have had to suffer this condition. She thought his complaint was nothing serious since it was not the first time. She was overconfident but her son was the one who had to pay for her inconsiderate action.

"So stop blaming yourself."

Hanni clenched her jaw, "Easy for you to say. You weren't there. It's not your fault-"

"It's not yours either," Minji interrupted gently.

"It's okay."

"What is?!" Hanni hissed frustratingly.

"I am his mother, Minji. I should've known better than to dismiss his complain like it's not a big deal. Because it is a big deal."

Minji looked at her wife sympathetically. She touched Hanni's cheek and caressed it tenderly. "Baby, unexpected things happen, it'll happen again in the future. But that doesn't make you a bad mother. No one blames you so please stop putting everything on your shoulder. They wouldn't ask for a better mother because you are the best."

Hanni enveloped Minji's hand in hers. She closed her eyes, appreciating the gesture. Hanni sighed wearily. "I just never thought it'd come to this."

"So did I." The doctor pulled her wife into a warm hug. "We'll get through this together, alright? No more guilt. He's going to be fine."

Hanni didn't argue when Minji asked her to go home that night. Fatigue had finally overcome her. She'd only put more trouble should she fall sick at the moment. After Aorta was asleep, she took her leave with Artery, Venous, and Minji's parents.

Minji looked up from her table, flashing a small smile to Ryujin when the general surgeon entered the room, then locked the device. "Why are you still here at this hour?" Since the night was already late and Ryujin was not the surgeon on call, she shouldn't be in the hospital.

"I have nothing to do at home. Thought I'd visit Aorta and get you some snacks." Ryujin lifted the plastic bag. A well-known fast food brand printed on it.

"Should we dig in?"

"Sure." Minji grinned gratefully.

They ate in silence, engulfed in their own minds. The only sound that could be heard was the monitor beeping. Minji stole a glance every now and then to the screen just in case his vital signs changed.

"Hanni didn't fight you tonight?"

"A little. But she'd tired. She knows it's not the best idea if she stays." Minji licked her fingers, savoring the tasty treat.

"Gosh, it's been so long since the last time I ate this meal."

"Why?"

"I have kids, Ryu. I can't just eat whatever I want now. They love junk food, too, and Hanni is really strict with once a month, only on weekend rules."