Chapter 2

"Darn it, Jacob, can't you do anything right?", his mother scolded him, "It's the fifth day already you come home with empty hands. You're a thief! You are supposed to return home with at least something to eat!" "Leave it be, he is hopeless", the father chimed in, "Jacob, you know the deal. No success, no dinner. You may leave." With an angry expression, the young man turned on the doorstep and stormed off. Good thing, that woman from earlier already offered him dinner. Otherwise, it would have been another hungry night for him. He reached his little hut and threw the door shut. "One day", he mumbled to himself, "One day I will be the leader of this clan, not my dad. And then I will have all the food I want and don't have to steal to prove myself every day!"

He lay down on the couch. It was a small hut. Only one room. They didn't need a kitchen as the villagers usually dined altogether at the big hall in the centre. Washing was to be done outside in the nearby stream. As for the toilet – A simple one at the back of the hut had to do it. He didn't even have a bed. "One could think parents treat their child right even when they are officially the bad guys", he grumbled as he lay down on the couch. He turned to the wall as the emotions took over him. All he wanted was to prove himself, only once. But luck didn't seem to be on his side. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever. All he needed was one chance, one time to really prove himself. It wasn't the first time that something inside him questioned if he really belonged here or if he just should run away. But he didn't want to listen to it. "I am the honourable descendant of the most famous thief to exist. I will make it one day. I know I will", he told himself as he wiped away a tear that had dared to leave his eye. And it was as if someone whispered back an answer: "Don't worry. You will make it."

xxx

"Sarah?", Nuriel tried again. She grew nervous. These useless humans. The princess had seemed to have fallen into a state of shock at this very unfortunate time. The fairy had senses better than a human being and she could hear horses nearing. Fast, determined, very likely to be deadly for the young woman. "My princess, we really have to leave now! The guards are coming", she repeated and tried to drag the appointed one away from the path. "I had a brother", this one whispered repeatedly, "I knew it. I had a brother." "Yeah, we can have a little family chat later, but now we really have to get you out of here", Nuriel mumbled, "Could you at least pretend to help me out here a bit?"

The fairy sighed. It was no use. The chances of getting the princess on her horse at least were roundabout zero. Maybe even minus one. Always hearing the constant pattering of hooves on the ground distracted the fairy from thinking straight. "I have to find that person", the princess suddenly changed her mumbling. "Excuse me what?", Nuriel asked back, not really hoping for Sarah to actually hear her. "I have to find that person!", this one now exclaimed and turned to the fairy. The latter one raised an eyebrow. "Well, in case you mean your brother, I would suggest starting at the graveyard", she deadpanned. "No!", Sarah shouted, "There must be people that still know the details of the story! I have to find them!" The two looked at each other.

"So? What are we waiting for, fairy?", Sarah asked impatiently. "Okay, first of all, my name is Nuriel. And second... What exactly do you want from me?", this one gave back. "Come on, you surely know someone who knows the story! Show me the way!", the princess ordered her and got up, walking over to her horse. "W-Wait, you want to leave finally?", the other one gave back and quickly flew over. "Well, there won't be anyone helpful for us in this forest, will there?", Sarah shrugged. "Of course not, your reverend majesty, and I suggest you to be quick", Nuriel answered excitedly and sat down in front of the princess, "The guards are on their way to here." "Nuriel!", the princess shouted, "Why did you not tell me earlier?" The fairy flinched. "My dear, you really need to stop being this loud", she then sighed, "Ah, well, what am I even wasting my breath for. Maybe that is why you didn't hear me saying that a few times already." "Which way did you say?", the princess ignored her.

xxx

"Why didn't you listen to me?", Nuriel complained quietly. "You should have been firmer", the princess gave back sulking. They were ducking behind the bushes right next to the spot they had chosen as their place to sleep for the night. After they had taken care of the horse, they had heard people right behind the bushes. When they went to take a peek, they had to face the danger of being inevitable close to the guards. "We could have already been so much further away, but no, your highness had to get over her brother's death first", Nuriel nagged. "Excuse me for not being an unemotional brick", Sarah whispered back before crawling backwards. "Where are you going?", the fairy hissed. "Back to Jaro. We'll leave this place. It will be okay to ride one more night", the princess explained quietly. Nuriel rolled her eyes. Humans really were hopeless. After shaking her head to herself, she descended into the air to approach the guards unseen.

Sarah was busy saddling the horse and packing everything. She flinched as she heard loud screams. Spinning around to find the source of the sound, she wrapped her hand tightly around her dagger. Then she got aware of Nuriel flying over with a satisfied hum. "Nuriel what in the world happened?", the princess asked confused. The fairy landed on the saddle and made herself comfortable. "The guards shouldn't be a problem anymore", she then shrugged uninterested. "Don't tell me you...", Sarah said shocked. "No", the fairy sighed, "I did not kill them. I just... Played a little trick on them." "What did you do?", the other one gave back with squinted eyes. "Might have lit up their campfire before they could. Not like a small, cute spark, no. The whole show. A flash to ignite and all those spark-fireworks, you know... Nothing too big. It's still a forest over here. They're all probably over the hills until now." Sarah shook her head. "Thanks, I guess", she then mumbled. "Don't mention it, no big deal. But you two should rest now. We have a long way to go." With this, the fairy descended into the air again and flew over to their own campfire to lie down. "Good night", she then yawned and turned away from the princess and her horse.