Chapter 5

Nuriel sat next to the crying princess, not knowing what to do. She had sometimes watched Sarah while she still was in the castle, oblivious of her surroundings, but louder than anyone else the fairy ever met. She had liked her optimism and happy attitude. Seeing her break down like this was heart-breaking, but Nuriel wasn't exactly the type of person to comfort others. So, she did what she did best.

A small spark hit the princess's arm. "Ow!", she exclaimed as her head jolted up, "Hey!" Nuriel looked at her, seemingly indifferent. "Get yourself together, princess. You got us out of there again, so I guess we're even. As for your people – You said it yourself, you can't go back. If you die, you die and this kingdom will not even notice. But if you live, you can find a way to save the kingdom. So, what's to really lose if we at least try? Tell you what – For that we have to continue our way. And now, quit crying, it's pathetic." Sarah stared at her confused, but at least wiped away her tears.

"She's right. I once got told that if you go through hell, go on. Why stop there?", someone behind them suddenly said and they both spun around. "Seriously, when will people stop doing this?", Nuriel complained, putting a hand over her heart. "Aren't fairies supposed to hear well?", the young and undeniably beautiful woman opposite them gave back amused. "Only if they concentrate on it", the appointed one sulked. "Who are you?", Sarah chimed in. The woman stepped closer to her and offered her a hand. "My name's Belle, your Majesty. I am here to guide you." Completely baffled, the princess took her hand and let herself get helped up. "Belle?", Nuriel reassured. The woman nodded.

Sarah watched while the fairy flew one full circle around the newcomer, inspecting her closely. "Are you by any chance a witch?", Nuriel then asked. "I indeed am", Belle chuckled. "Excuse me but mind telling me what you mean with 'guiding me'?", Sarah spoke up. The witch looked at her thoughtfully. "Let's go to my hut", Belle offered, "We have a lot to talk about."

xxx

"Long time ago", Belle started after putting down a cup of tea in front of her visitors, "This kingdom was ruled by a just and loving king. He was good to his people and they were proud of him. They would have followed him anywhere. The source of his good reign was not only himself though. It was his advisors whom he trusted and followed. Their names were Miriel and Lian. And then one day a third person started to gain the king's trust, luring him with small deeds that granted fast success. They weren't always good, but the cost was never too high to not risk it for the expected outcome. Slowly, but surely the king's heart turned away from his advisors and towards his new companion. The small deed grew bigger, the costs higher and the probability of the wished outcome was decreasing rapidly. Miriel and Lian did their best, but it was no use. The king banned them from his kingdom. And nobody protested. The day he did that, the fate had been determined. With no resistance to the king the kingdom crumbled and shattered. Since then, the kings haven't been any better. They may have tried, but no one made it. No one could bring back the kingdom to its old glory."

"That's why", Nuriel chimed in, "Everyone in the kingdom was so hopeful for your brother, princess. He was said to be the saviour, after all." "But that's how it goes – The young prince was never to be seen again", Belle sighed, "And the people got robbed of their very last hope. By now, the kingdom is not only hopeless, but also corrupted and shattered. You've seen yourself what is like. While, over time, many tried to find Miriel and Lian to bring them back, no one succeeded. Truth is, not everyone is suited to find them. And by now the people start to forget about them, wave it off as a fairytale or tell false versions of it. But they themselves chose you, your Majesty, to find them. With their help, everything can be made right again."

Sarah stayed silent. She had never heard the story like this. Back in the castle they had told her that it had been those two, Miriel and Lian, two indefinable eternal beings, who cursed the kingdom and brought all the bad luck upon the people living here. It was told that they had corrupted the king and it was their doing that many people had died back then. That was the truth she had always had thought knowing. And now it was supposed to be wrong?

"I understand it must be confusing to you, your Majesty", Belle said softly, "It is your decision to go, no one can force you. Think about it. But from my perspective it is the only option you really have unless you want to stay a wanted outcast forever." The witch stood up and motioned Nuriel to follow her. "Let me see your bruise, I think I have something for it", she said and the two left Sarah alone with her thoughts.