Chapter 15

Jacob watched the others' faces being lit up by the fire they sat around. They had gotten lucky with the escape. Or have they? He wasn't too sure about it. After all, it was teamwork. And it seemed like they we're a good team. Belle was the unspoken but accepted leader. She held them together, had open ears and good advice for everyone and seemed to be able to read their minds. Which was admittingly a tad scary. Sarah may be a bit impulsive. But she was fighting for what she thought of as right. Justice, empathy and a good heart were the things she was bringing into the group. If it wasn't for her, they might not have ended up in prison, but they also clearly wouldn't have made it out. And secretly he admired those traits of hers. Nuriel had indeed a sharp mind yet she didn't show it off. She was fiercely loyal too and hidden behind her sarcastic shell was a very caring person. And Jacob himself? Once again, he felt useless. But at least he was the one figuring out the guard's likes. So maybe he wasn't so useless after all...

Suddenly Sarah chuckled and shook her head, making Jacob snap out of his thoughts. "Isn't it surreal?", she asked, "The four of us – A group that usually never meets. We have outlaws and royalty as well as someone who lives all by herself and gets feared by most people plus someone who never leaves the borders of her own folk. And yet we all sit here around a fire, far away from home on the search for someone not one of us know. Seriously, guys, how did we even end up here?" Jacob had to smile softly, catching even Nuriel do the same for a split second.

"Well, for me you all know the story", he laughed softly, "A typically rebellious young man, having issues with his parents and seeking adventure. What could be better than exploring the world?" Sarah chuckled along. "Don't we all have issues with our parents?", she thought out loud before growing serious. "Even after they died. Sometimes even more after that", she added. Nuriel inched closer to her, putting her tiny hand on the princess's thigh. Sarah smiled at her gratefully. "It's hard losing one's parents", the fairy mumbled. It was silent for a while after this.

"How come you are not with your folk?", Jacob then asked into the silence. "Got banned", Nuriel shrugged, "After my parents weren't there to protect me any longer. I might have gotten a bit too rebellious. And one thing led to the other. Well, and here we are now." "Oh. I'm sorry", Jacob mumbled. The fairy shrugged: "It's okay now. At least I had good parents." "Let's not think about mine then." Sarah looked at him observingly but eventually nodded. "Belle", she diverted the attention to the witch, "What about you? We barely know about you." "And I intend to keep it like this for a little while longer", the appointed one answered calmly. "Oh, come on, we all opened up a bit today. It's only fair", Nuriel sulked. "Patience", Belle said and got up, "Is a very good trait for a person. Good night, everyone. I'll take the first night watch." They watched her walk over to a nearby rock and sink down on it. "She's truly mysterious sometimes. But I trust her fully nonetheless", Sarah thought out loud. The others nodded. "Let's go to sleep now", the princess went on, "It's gonna be a long day tomorrow again."

Jacob couldn't sleep. He had tried to count sheep, tried to force himself, tried to meditate, tried to make up stories of his own, but nothing helped. Suddenly he heard a soft voice singing. Even without looking, he knew that it was Belle. He was captivated in an instant. Her voice was beautiful. Stunning. He listened. Unexplainably, he did not only hear the words. He felt them. And fell asleep over thinking about them. Belle meanwhile continued singing her little song. "Will the circle be unbroken? By and by. By and by. Is a better home awaiting in the sky, in the sky?" With a little sigh, she ended and looked up to the stars. "Thanks, mum", she whispered, "For teaching me this song."

xxx

Jacob stretched himself thoroughly. He had slept longer than the others, it seemed. They were all up already and some delicious smell lured him closer to their fireplace. Something was boiling in Belle's pot. He had never asked what exactly the witch was cooking for them, but it earned his trust since everyone was still alive and it tasted really good as well. "Good morning", Sarah greeted him as soon as she saw him. He nodded. He wasn't exactly a morning person. Belle held out his portion of food to him and he gladly took it after sitting down next to the others. "So, what are we up to today? Do we wanna go south? Back into the north? Or back into prison?", Nuriel asked and ignored Sarah's glare grinning. Belle smiled softly but then shook her head. "No", she said and pointed behind her, "We'll go west." Jacob tilted his head as he looked at the incredibly high mountains that unfolded in front of his eyes. "I will need a second breakfast for that", he mumbled and the witch laughed. "Don't worry", she answered, "I know a shortcut." "Oh great. That never went wrong, ever, now did it?", Nuriel sighed theatrically.