Chapter 14

Jacob watched the women in front of him argue. All of their ideas wouldn't work, he knew it. He had watched the guard this whole time – his occupational disease. There were three things he had realized. First, the guard wasn't open to bribery. The way he treated whoever came down the hallway showed clearly that he was unchangingly loyal to his superiors. Second, he was seeking challenges. Full of confidence that he could take them all on. And third – probably the most interesting of all – He had a weakness for playing cards.

"Jacob?", Belle interrupted his thoughts, "Do you maybe have an idea?" "The only way to lure him here is to challenge him to a card game. But if we manage to do so, we need someone who is good at it, otherwise he'll soon lose interest." Sarah and Nuriel stared at him surprised while Belle nodded satisfied. "I knew you were a good observer", she simply said. "B-But... how do you know?", Sarah asked confused. "The way he acts. He wants to make a career here. He enjoys the power he has over the imprisoned. He even acts arrogant to his colleagues speaking of the gestures he's making. And then look at his pockets. A deck of cards in his right pocket and a few single coins in his left one. Now, both of them on their own wouldn't be as suspicious but a combination of both in one's everyday clothes usually hints at a person enjoying simple bets at card games. Add that to his feeling of being superior and you have the perfect person to get caught by a swindler faking a game. He's one of the people my dad would aim at for some tricks." Silence. "Let's do this then", Belle smiled amused.

xxx

"So? Did you understand the rules?", Jacob reassured. Nuriel nodded while rolling her eyes. "It's not like you told me about them three times already", she mumbled. "I just want to make sure!", this one defended himself. "Sure sure", the fairy shrugged and then suddenly whistled so loudly, even her friends flinched. "Hey you!", she shouted and waved to the guard who had turned to them, "Are those cards for decoration or are you up for a game?" The guard walked over, grinning condescendingly. "As if a cheeky little fairy would be good at card games", he snorted. "As if an arrogant guard could beat me at Trickster", Nuriel gave back with a sly smile. The guard raised an eyebrow. "You know Trickster?" "Surprised, big one?" "Are you sure you really know the same game I do? It's one of the more complicated ones, after all. Can't believe you, out of all, would be the one knowing it." Nuriel sighed theatrically. "Whatever. I knew you would be too scared to play against me." She shrugged and turned away. "The game is on", the guard snickered.

xxx

"She should have folded", Jacob mumbled next to Sarah. "Let's trust our friend", Belle whispered calmly, "She has a very sharp mind." "But she is playing at such high risk!" "She knows what she is doing." At that moment, Nuriel chuckled cheekily before theatrically picking a card from her deck and laying it down. The guard thought for quite some time until the fairy interrupted him impatiently. "You know the rules, don't you? Hand me over your last trump card already. There's no way you can dodge that." "Huh? How would she know that –", Jacob started out as he got interrupted by the guard's dissatisfied grunt. Amazed, he watched him hand over the last ace to Nuriel. "Pure beginner's luck", he grumbled. Nuriel grinned. "No. Using my brain." "How did she-", Sarah whispered, but didn't finish the sentence as she saw a familiar face behind the guard.

The little girl she had wanted to buy food for had snuck up to the guard and now triumphantly held up a bunch of keys before letting it disappear into her pockets. Just in time before the guard got aware of her. "What do you want?", he asked her with annoyance in his voice. "I am so very sorry to bug you", the little girl said, "But I think I got lost in here." She looked at him with big doe eyes and the guard sighed. "Just go down that alley and to the right and you'll be out of here", he then said and turned away. "But I am scared", the girl whined. "And that is your problem not mine." "Please sir..." "No, just get lost already." Sarah got up and moved to the two. "Come here, little one", she said softly and the girl looked at her surprised. Eventually she came over though. Sarah put her hand on her shoulder as she looked in her eyes and said: "My mum always told me that singing helps against fear. And every time I was scared, I would sing that song she taught me. Shall I sing it for you? Then we can sing it together until you're out of here." "Sarah, I don't think-", Jacob started out but the princess shushed him. He shrugged and turned away.

Meanwhile the girl had nodded and held out her hand to the princess. As Sarah took it, she could feel the keys being handed over. Trying hard to not show her surprise, she started singing softly: "Little baby, hear my voice. I'm beside you, O maiden fair. Our young Lady, grow and see your land, your own faithful land." After the second time, they sang together and Sarah softly pushed the girl towards the alley leading out. Belle watched the girl leaving, looking back every now and then until she was out of sight. Sarah sang for a while longer before everyone went silent. The princess got up, walked back towards the others and sat down without a word. The witch nodded approvingly.

xxx

"You really think this will work?" "No, not at all." "Then why the heck are doing it?" "It sounded fun." "We're gonna die." "Oh, shush. I owe them. No one ever tried to help me out. She even comforted me after I got her in this situation. Well, I didn't plan on leaving them behind with the guard and I also wasn't actually scared, but... She is someone special. I can't let her down now. So, we're sticking to the plan. And if it wasn't for them, I would be in there." "But-" "Please. I count on you, dear brother. Distract them. I'll bring them to the gates." "Urgh, you're so annoying sometimes." "I know. That's what siblings are for." "You owe me too after that." "Obviously. Now go." "Take care." "You too."

xxx

It was less than an hour later as they heard loud voices from outside. Apparently, there was something going on. The still sulking guard got attentive in an instant. "Guards, assemble!", a shout echoed through the halls and within a second, he was up and dashing out. The four friends looked at each other. "It's time, Sarah", Belle said.

And then it all went by very fast. Sarah unlocked the cell door and the four dashed out, following the guard's prior description until they ran into the little girl. She motioned them to be silent and obediently the friend group followed her out, through a small street and multiple gardens, always keeping a safe distance from everybody else. Until the girl stopped in front of a wall. The city wall. With a small gate in it. And no guard to be seen. "Good luck", she said casually before dashing away again. "Hey, wait!", Sarah shouted after her, but Belle softly took her arm and lead her through the door. "She doesn't want to talk about it, it seems", the witch said, "We should respect that. Maybe one day you'll run into each other again and then you will have all the time to talk. Let's get going meanwhile."