Chapter 12

"Why does everyone look so... emotionless?", Sarah asked Belle. This one smiled softly. "Dear princess, it's like I said: They forgot about the magic. The actual magic that fairies or witches hold as well as the daily magic like feeling the warmth of the sun or the light breeze brushing over your skin. They forgot how to stop on the way to look at the flowers or smell them. And therefore, they found those little wonders useless, got rid of them whenever they seemed in the way. And slowly but surely their emotions got adapted to it. Love was useless, only in the way of doing one's best at work. Friendliness was a waste of time. Being gentle meant to be run over. The only thing that counted and still is, is to be at the top. Egoism and greed started to bloom instead of plants. And before you know it, you will find yourself here." "That's cruel. Can nobody help them?" "Help them, princess?", Nuriel chimed in with raised eyebrow. "Do you think we are any better? We might still have the magic surrounding us and we pretend to be accepting and tolerant, but isn't everyone secretly chasing only their own good? Tell me, princess: When did you last see a true act of kindness?" "Nuriel is partly right", Belle nodded thoughtfully, "Kindness and love still exist outside the walls of this city. But they get rarer and rarer." Sarah got lost in her thoughts again as they wandered on.

"Isn't there at least one person still capable of feeling something?", she then asked a while later while they took a break from the never-ending walking, all sitting next to each other. "Only those who fell through the system might", Belle answered after a thoughtful second, "Because it's the only thing that still gives them a reason to continue. To find live again after losing what they thought their live would be like. But they don't get any recognition since they are not successful. They are of no use. And they tend to leave the city soon after. To the inhabitants here, they are as useless as flowers or emotion. If they get really unlucky, they might even – JACOB! Get back here immediately!" Sarah flinched upon the witch's loud shout. She was the only one reacting to it.

Well, Jacob did too. Annoyed, he turned back to his companion, shrugging indifferently before he strolled back. Belle had her hands on her hips, staring at him angrily. "I told you to better not be conspicuous in any way! Why do you have to lurk around that shop and keep observing everyone?" "I am a thief, Belle. Doing that is in my genes. I would be more conspicuous if I wouldn't give in to it." "Well, it only would be conspicuous if the people around us would know about that." Jacob grumbled something and sat down next to them. "I am not a kid that has to be supervised", he complained. "Then don't behave like one", Belle gave back dryly.

That's when Sarah got aware of something only Jacob had been seeing until then. A little girl sat in front of the shop, looking at all the food inside with big eyes. "She looks hungry", she mumbled half loudly, yet no one heard her. While Belle and Jacob were still discussing back and forth stubbornly, the princess nudged the fairy who was watching the other two with a grin. "Should we do something?", she asked. "You mean besides laughing?", Nuriel gave back amused, "Nah. They will solve it on their own." "You really are one of a kind, Nuriel", Sarah sighed. Truth was, Sarah didn't yet understand that this was the fairy's automatic response to others fighting. Not getting involved, just making fun of it. As a kid she had learned that most of her problems had been solved with a joke from her mum that made her laugh and forget the pain in her sprained ankle. But after their death, there were no more jokes. There was only silence. So she tried to get back to laughing by making her own jokes. Yet, her timid trials of joking around soon turned to sarcasm until she forgot how to react differently. And it had worked for her. But this time even she felt uncomfortable by the discussion in front of her. Even though she didn't want to admit to it. Until she sighed, telling herself that it must at least be Sarah's wish for them to shut up and therefore she would help her mediate. "Okay, what ideas do you have?", Nuriel asked and turned back to the princess. Except for - The princess wasn't there anymore.

"Sarah?", Nuriel asked unsurely as she looked around. She tried to fly up, but then remembered she couldn't in this city. "SARAH!", she now exclaimed and this time her two other friends had heard her. They looked over to where the princess had sat and saw – no one. "That can't be good", Belle said anxiously while Jacob already jolted up, looking around nervously. Belle managed to get a hold of him before he simply ran off. "Stay calm", she said and sat Nuriel on her shoulder before standing up herself, "We'll find her. But only together. We should not lose another person as well." Jacob nodded and scratched his head. "But where to start searching?", he asked helplessly. "You're good with hideouts, Jacob. Do you think she could have disappeared this fast by going up or down the street?", Belle gave back. The former thief looked around and then firmly shook his head. "No. And there are barely any side streets." "Then the most rational answer is that she is in one of the houses", the witch thought out loud. "But why should she...", Jacob wondered before his head jolted up upon a loud shout beside them. Their heads all turned at the exact same time to find their lost princess again. But she wasn't alone.