Chapter 11

Sarah was the first one to wake up again. She quietly got up and wandered off a bit to have time to sort out her thoughts in solitude. She sank down on top of the nearby rocks and looked over the vast land that spread out in front of her. More forests, some fields and little villages splattered across the landscape. In the distance she could make out a bigger city. A river and some broad paths crossed the mostly green picture in front of her. Sarah felt a wave of peace wash over her, yet she knew that this had only been the start of a long, long journey that's ending was yet to be unknown. The people she travelled with were strangers to her, yet it felt like they might already have been friends in another lifetime.

In contrast to Nuriel and Jacob, Sarah knew her path exactly. She didn't doubt her role in the group – She was the princess, the future reign, even though she was currently powerless. She also didn't question if Nuriel and Jacob were "suited" for the group. But she couldn't stop thinking about Belle. Something about her seemed so... surreal. She knew the answer to basically any question and yesterday at the campfire, she didn't talk about her way through the forest. Sarah was almost certain Belle had passed the forest at least once before. What was it about her that made her so special?

However, Sarah's thoughts got interrupted as she heard Jacob's voice behind her: "Hey princess! Breakfast's ready!" She looked back at the others and saw the thief waving her over. "Coming!", she shouted back and got up again, sparing one last look to the landscape in front of her before hurrying back. "Did you see it?", Belle greeted her right away. Sarah looked at her questioning. "The city", the witch explained. "Oh, I did. Why?" "It's gonna be our next stopover." "What city is it?", Jacob chimed in. "Ever heard of the City of Illusion?", Belle asked back. He shook his head. "Well, you'll see for yourself soon enough." The witch got up and walked over to the rock Sarah had been sitting on earlier. "She's so... unreadable", Jacob mumbled confused. Sarah simply nodded. "She's a witch. No one really knows what goes on in their heads", Nuriel shrugged and took another piece of meat to roast it in her hands.

xxx

Three days later they found themselves in front of the city gates. "It looks even bigger from up close", Sarah whispered in awe. "All things do, Miss smarty-pants", Jacob answered sarcastically. The princess shot him a glare. "Let's not fight", Belle chuckled. "What's that?", Nuriel changed topic and pointed towards the entrance. A strange hue seemed to fill it. It almost looked alive, vibrating with energy. "Oh, just a minor barrier to strip the both of us off our magic powers." "Excuse me, what did you say?" "This city decided to not allow magic. They traded it for technology long ago." "Oh, how is that so much better?" "Well, they say they have moving stairs. You don't have to walk anymore, just step on it." "That does sound convenient", Sarah thought out loud, but Belle shook her head: "Their advanced technology might have led to a more luxurious life, but once you really look beneath the surface, you will find that the lack of magic slowly made them forget what how wonderful life really is, how much it can amaze. They simply don't have a sense for the little things anymore, instead take everything granted. And what is life really worth when nothing surprises you anymore?" The others exchanged some looks. "Let's just go", Nuriel finally broke the silence and together they set off.

"Hmm, I thought it would feel like... well at least I would feel something", Nuriel mumbled while she looked at the gate. "It's weird, isn't it?", Belle smiled. "Weird is an understatement. But the worst is that I can't even fly anymore." "Don't worry", Sarah grinned at her friend and held out her hand to her, "I can carry you." "I am not helpless just because I don't have my powers for some time", this one sulked. "Well, but you surely do take smaller steps than we do", Jacob teased her and gave her a light tap, "And if you don't want to turn this into a major workout session, you should probably take the nice offer the princess gave you." The fairy stared at him and then mumbled something incomprehensible before climbing onto Sarah's still outstretched hand. "Just so you know", she said salty, "I am against it nonetheless." "We'll keep it in mind", Sarah chuckled softly and let her sit down on her shoulder.

xxx

They had wandered through the big city for quite some time now. It was so grand that they couldn't have crossed within a day, especially because Sarah, Jacob and Nuriel wanted to stop and look at everything while Belle pressed them to go on. "We should keep our goal in mind. The sooner we get there, the better", she argued. Sarah was lost in her thoughts. She had been so amazed by all the fantastic things around them like moving stairs or flying post carriers that she didn't even pay attention to the people around them. One could clearly tell tourists from inhabitants. While tourists were just as stunned by everything as she had been at first, the inhabitants walked through with blank faces, fast and indifferent to everyone. They surely were alive but to Sarah they looked like all live was drained from them. They were functioning. Nothing more. And God forbid they smiled for once. Strangely enough, the city seemed to be the same: functional. But without any character. No colour splashes in the streets, no parks, nothing but technology and convenience. And uniformity.