Chapter 10

But she couldn't. Something seemed to hold Nuriel back from flying over to her clan. These three on the other path were different than all of the ones she had met before, though she did not know what it was. And when she thought back to her clan, honestly thought back to her clan, she realized that the only ones she had really liked there had been her family. Who all were dead. Since then, she had never admitted to liking anyone ever again. But now she found herself liking these strangers. "Nuriel, a fairy needs her clan", the head reminded her. "No", the appointed one suddenly realized, "No, a fairy is not nothing without a clan. She still is someone. I did not lose my powers but with these three I finally found someone that actually needs my powers. Instead of wasting them away where no one needs them, I can use them to help other fulfil a greater challenge. And if it's only for lighting up a fire for them to stay warm. I will stay with someone who appreciates my powers instead of fearing them!" Without looking back, she flew over to the path leading to Sarah, Belle and Jacob. Saige followed wordlessly, though with a soft smile on her face.

xxx

Belle blinked into the dim light. Then she sat up and looked around. She met eyes with a troll and nodded gracefully. "Good morning", she said. "Good morning", the troll greeted back and bowed slightly, "I'm Ember. I reckon you'll find your way through on your own? But just in case, I decided to meet you." "That's very nice of you", the witch smiled softly, "Yet I do find my way out alone." "May I then ask", the troll started out carefully, "How come you visit our forest?" Belle chuckled lightly. "Things are about to change soon, Ember", she answered and got up fully, dusting off the dirt from her dress. "Be prepared." "We always were." "Good. Now excuse me, I have to go and meet the others again."

xxx

After a total of three junctions, Sarah felt exhaustion taking over her. "Give me a second", she told Dara, the troll. "We went far enough for today, you may want to take a short nap", this one answered understanding. The princess plopped down right where she stood. "How come the others are simply gone? Where are they? And why did they leave me?", she then asked her companion. "Oh, everyone has to face their own challenges", that one gave back, "Now sleep." While thinking about it, the sleep pulled Sarah in quickly.

As she woke up again, the troll was nowhere to be seen. She sat up. "Dara?", she shouted. No answer. "Not again." With a sigh, the princess got up and looked around, only now realizing that the mist had gotten a lot better. She could actually see some stars. And right in front of her, shining brightly, was the star they kept following so far. Sarah looked around one last time. Nobody was to be seen. Though she felt insecure and all alone, she knew what she had to do. And she wanted to get out of the forest. "Goodbye and thanks for guiding me", she mumbled into the dark forest behind her and started to walk towards the star.

xxx

The first thing Jacob saw after leaving the misty forest was a bright light ahead of him. And only a few seconds later, he could hear a loud laugh. "This sounds familiar", he smiled to himself and picked up his pace. And while coming closer, his smile grew brighter. He knew those silhouettes and without realizing it, he had missed them a lot. Being alone was no good for him even though he liked having time for himself. Everyone needed some company, he realized. That's when he started to slow down. But what company was a lousy thief for a mighty witch, an actual princess and a fire-controlling fairy? They only took him along because... Well, why did they? He looked at the three women sitting around a fire in front of him and chatting. Suddenly, as if she sensed him, Belle looked up and met eyes with him. She smiled softly and motioned him to come over. Thanks to that, Sarah noticed him now too and, loud as ever, she instructed him to sit down with them instead of growing roots. He had to laugh and walked the remaining meter towards them. "We kept some food for you. Food that isn't made out of will-o'-the-wisps", Nuriel informed him and nodded over to Belle who already unpacked something from her bag. "And we aren't either", this one mumbled. "Thanks", Jacob smiled shyly. "And now tell us", Sarah grinned, "Did you miss us?"

He had not told them how glad he had been to see them again. Instead, he had played it cool though he was sure these three already had understood what was going on within him. Despite being separated for the most time throughout the forest, he felt like they had grown closer a bit. He wondered if they all had to decide between either their family or the group. As Jacob now lay on the ground, trying to sleep, he also wondered why – if so – they had decided for this group. And though feeling comfortable with them, he couldn't shake off the feeling that he was of no use to them, nothing but a miserable and bothersome creature that had just been lucky.

Little did he know that he wasn't the only one who still had to think a lot about the decisions made. Nuriel's thoughts went in circles. She had been banned from her old clan. And if the others found out what had happened... Would they still be with her? Though having been so sure about making the right choice back then, the clan's head's words didn't stop bothering her. What really is a fairy without her clan? Fairies don't mess with humankind, they stay to themselves. But why? What was the reason for living separated? She took a deep breath. Maybe one day she would find out. Not today though. The longer her new friends didn't know about her ban, the better. In the end, they would turn her backs on her. Just like everyone else had done.