Chapter 17

"No, I don't think I ever tasted cookies like that", Sarah answered Nuriel's question, suspicious even by the thought of a fire fairy baking basically anything. "You really should. Once we're done with this, I'll make some for all of you", Nuriel hummed. "Wait, so you guys purposely burn them?", Jacob reassured. "Sure, that gives them some extra spice." "I don't know if humans are suit for eating those." "We'll find out then." "Excuse me?" The fairy chuckled. "Just a little joke. I know some humans who haven't died after eating them. You'll be fine", she explained. "Nuriel?", Belle chimed in, "Can you light up the area over here a bit more?" "On it."

The flickering light coming from the magical fire balls revealed a deep gorge with only a long and narrow bridge crossing it. "Oh great", Jacob said. "Good for those who can fly, huh?", Nuriel joked and flew a bit further, "At least it seems I can light up the whole bridge for you." "I'll go first", Belle announced and started off before anyone could say anymore. Jacob and Sarah watched her carefully take the first few steps. Then the witch turned around and smiled encouragingly. "Seems safe", she shouted back to the others, "Just mind where you step." "Alright then", Jacob nodded towards Sarah, "Ladies first, I guess." Sarah stood behind him and stared at the bridge, kneading her fingers. "Princess?", Jacob repeated. "Hm? Uhm sorry, what?" "Are you okay?" "I... I, uhm, I... I might be a tiny bit afraid of heights..." Jacob tilted his head. Sarah, the one who had the guts to run away from the king, the one who managed to escape a camp of thieves and turned a whole city upside-down was afraid of heights? "Sarah", Nuriel interrupted the silence, "You got so far. We're here because of you in the first place. You'll manage a bit of height too. We'll make sure you'll be safe." Belle had gotten back in the meantime and now took the princess's hands. "Come, I'll guide you", she said softly. "And I'll stay right behind you", Jacob promised. Sarah still chewed her lower lip insecurely but eventually nodded. Nuriel flew closer to them and sent the woman a short smile. "Let's go then", Sarah said with trembling voice.

Step by step they made it over the bridge, slowly but steady. Sarah was still feeling uneasy even after they reached the other side but the constant encouragement and compliments by the others made her shake off that feeling soon and by the time she did, they could see a light shining up ahead. "Finally", Jacob sighed. "Last one out is a lazy sheep!", Nuriel shouted and sped up without warning. "Hey, foul play!", Sarah laughed and picked up pace, trying to not let Jacob get ahead of her. Belle kept her pace but watched them smiling and shook her head. "Like little kids", she mumbled.

xxx

A while later, Nuriel sat at the campfire they had set up and watched the others sleep. Then she averted her gaze to the stars and sighed. "Never would have thought I'd be so far from home one day", she mumbled to herself. She wasn't sure if there was some kind of heaven but if there was, she was sure her family watched her. She remembered how her father had told her great stories about the world "out there" and she had always wanted to experience for herself. But just like her father, she stayed within the same surroundings. Unlike him though, she never had had a reason. She neither had had a family nor a job or anything. Nuriel pulled her knees to her chest and rested her head on it. But she had been scared. Scared to stray too far away from the place where she had lost her family. Scared to lose the last connection she had with them. Scared to forget. And then she suddenly found herself in an adventure like this, one she hadn't even wanted to join in at first but eventually got tangled up in. The fairy sighed. She still missed her family and the pain never really went away. But she had learnt to deal with it.

Then she looked back at the others and couldn't help but smile. With them, the pain felt less heavy. They all had their burdens, their problems, their weaknesses. With them, she knew she wouldn't have to carry all of the burden herself. Sarah made her laugh and gave her courage, Jacob looked after her and Belle... Well, she was just Belle. Around her everything just felt... right. Without them, she wouldn't have been able to take on all those challenges. Nobody would have. They had grown so close to her, they felt like an actual family now. And now she knew she wouldn't have to be scared anymore. She wouldn't forget her family. And she would not be alone in this big world.

But what if... What if she lost them too? What if something happened? She flinched as Sarah next to her moved. Yet her thoughts went right back to where they had been interrupted. There were so many things that could go wrong. Wild animals, floods, rockfalls – Fire. The princess shifted again but this time Nuriel didn't really realize it. Fires. She was a fire fairy. And sometimes a bit hot tempered. What if – Somebody poked her. "Nuriel?", she heard Sarah whispering, "Nuriel, are you okay? You look scared." The fairy turned to her. "Sorry, I've been thinking", she said, shaking her head to get rid of the thoughts. She wouldn't harm them. No matter how furious she was sometimes. "About what? Wanna talk about it?", interrupted Sarah her thoughts once more. The other one shook her head. "No, it's fine." "I didn't want to disturb you." "You know, princess, your ability to distract is surely unmatched. But sometimes that's good too, I reckon." "O...kay?" "Sleep again. You'll be the next on night watch." "Okay."