Chasing Cars {Nick, Chris & Matt}

Frankly, all Nick had been wanting was to go out on a walk. He hadn't known what was to come out of it.

''Editing kicked my ass today, I need air,'' Nick complains. ''Air I tell you,''

Nick ever the one into dramatics wasn't kidding either. He and his brothers had been cooped up inside all day, caged inside. While he undertook the brunt of editing.

''Whoa kid,'' Chris snickers at him. ''Over here acting like you've never been outside a day in your life,''

''Well, I've been editing all day, it's suffocating in here, so yeah, it feels that way,''

Chris's laughter trails off eventually, an easygoing grin sliding into place. Nick can't help but fight one of his own at seeing the expression. It's been a while since he'd seen Chris so relaxed.

''It is stuffy in here, so what, you wanna go on a walk or somethin'?'' Nick didn't get a chance to even voice an answer before the kid was already jumping up. And rambling more. ''It might help. I'm dying sitting here, like I can't physically sit still for another minute, man,''

''That's hard to believe,'' Nick joked. ''But sure,''

Chris's head of brunette hair flopped as the younger nodded. The gesture was brief before Nick saw the other glance in Matt's general direction.

''Cool, Matt, you up for it or no?'' Chris questioned.

The middle child shrugged non committedly,

''I've got nothing else to do,''

It's all that's needed for them to get ready to go, Already having one place and one place only in mind. There's a trail they've always liked to walk to that's a part of a fairly common park. It's not a far walk to get there, and there's only really one busy street needed to cross to get there. It'd seemed perfect, harmless.

_____

It wasn't harmless.

There's a car coming, headed toward not Matt but one of his brothers. A part of him thinks it'd be easier to have it directed toward him. Regardless, it doesn't magically change its course toward him.

Specifically, it's headed at Nick. It's Nicolas who is stepping out from the shelter two parked cars bring, weaving through them. Stepping out to cross the street and head toward the park that has the trails. And Matt knows without a doubt that there's no way the driver will take notice of Nick. Not in time at least. The driver won't stop, and Matt ideally doesn't want a brother that's flattened into smithereens.

And Nick? Frustratingly enough Nick still isn't looking up. It's the one time that Nick's paranoia isn't having the other checking their surroundings.

Go figure, it's also the one time it'd be useful to do so.

''Hey, woah,'' Matt whistles out, hearing his own voice laced with shock and fear as he fought the urge to scramble to Nick's side. Nick would hear him before it got to that point, his brother had too. ''Woah, watch out, move out of the way, Nick,''

Chris who'd been strolling alongside Matt, stops. Wanting to see what the commotion was about, Chris turned to their elder brother's direction at Matt's exclamation, voice revving up and rivaling even his own in its terror.

''Nick, he's right get out of the way, man!'' Chris screams at the same time.

Negligently, Nick glanced in their way at the cries. Never in the direction of the vehicle, never noticing the impending threat. Matt did, his brunette curls tickling at his cheeks as his head jerked, sight set on the moving hazard.