Surprise!

Luke and the team had just won their game 4-2 against Chicago. Of course he was happy, despite Bedard getting injured, but something didn't feel right.

His girlfriend of two years, Lacey, lived all the way back in Michigan. She attends the University of Michigan, just as Luke did. They actually met through her brother, Ethan, who played hockey with Luke on the Wolverines.

Lacey helped Luke throughout his years with the Wolverines whenever it got difficult to balance both school and hockey, as well as his brother, Quinn, being a Wolverine legend. Being in New Jersey without her didn't feel right to him.

He has slight separation anxiety. He's constantly calling Quinn for what could be from a couple minutes to hours, and his brother doesn't mind one bit. Jack is also a big part in Luke's life, so he doesn't like to be away from him for long, but doesn't stop him from leaving for a while.

But the one he misses most is Lacey. The only times he gets to see her are when she's on reading break and flies out to New Jersey for the weekend, or summer. She lives in Canada, so they don't see one another during the holidays, but Luke will fly out to Canada to see her.

As soon as he got back to the apartment that he shared with his brother, he showered quickly before changing into sweats and running into his room. Jack laughed loudly at the sight of his brother so eager to call his girlfriend. The boy just shook his head as his laughed died down, turning the show that he was watching down.

"Lacey!" Luke cheered when his girlfriend's face showed up on the call.

"Hey Luke! You guys played so well tonight!" She said in a happy tone.

"I wish you could be here." He pouted. The girl laughed.

"Me too, babe. Trust me."

The two talked for a few more hours before she had to go. She had a flight that was about to be called, so she couldn't spoil the surprise to him!

Lacey's reading break started so she's flying down to Jersey. The two haven't seen each other since the summer so she thought it'd be a good fresh of breath air. Even though she needed to drive from Ann Arbor to Detroit, which is only 45 minutes, to fly two hours to Newark, she knew it was totally worth it.

Jack and Lacey

Lacey
Yo, my flight just left
You still good to pick me up?

Jack
Yup
I'll be there around

Lacey
Has your dumb, untrusting
ass told Luke yet?

Jack
Obviously not
Keep up that shit and I
just might though

Lacey
Fuck you

---

Newark, New Jersey

Lacey grinned as she walked over to the area where you get picked up. Her eyes searched until she found Jack's familiar 2023 bronco sport. The hockey player stepped out and smiled, pulling the girl into a hug.

"Been a while, Lace!" He exclaimed.

"Hey, Jack." She chuckled. 

The two jumped into his car, which Lacey called his "mom car", and drove to the Hughes brothers' apartment. When they got there, the girl grabbed her bag and jumped out to run up the stairs to their door. Jack just laughed, remembering how his brother had done the same thing only hours ago to call her.

She knocked on the door loudly. Footsteps were heard walking to the door and it opened to reveal a tired Luke. He was confused before his eyes focused.

"Lacey?!" He questioned. She nodded and smiled.

The girl ran and jumped into his arms as he shoved his face into her hair. Jack walked right by them, mumbling a 'night' to the couple before walking into his bedroom and closing the door.

"I missed you, Lukey." Lacey mumbled into his neck. Luke smiled brightly.

"I can't believe you're here." He smiled. "You're coming to the game tomorrow, yeah?" 

She smiled and nodded. "I brough my Michigan jersey too! Since I don't have a New Jersey one." She shrugged.

"How about you wear one of mine?" All he earned was an eyebrow raised. "Come on! This is your first NJ game!" He pleaded.

The girl sighed. "I don't think coach would let you." A smile made its way onto Luke's face.

"I can be quite..persuasive." He grinned at the quote.

"You know Harry Potter is my weakness!" She groaned. "Was I a good surprise though?" He nodded.

***

I got tired of writing this haha so that's why it ended like that

WC: 726