Promise

Picture above is her dress shown later in this chapter

2006

Carla and Jack giggled as the two of them were running from their parents. They were hanging out together and their mom's both told them it was time for Carla to go home to eat dinner. But they wanted to hang out together, even just for five more minutes

The two ran into Jack's room and closed the door, leaning against it and shushing each other as they giggled. Their mom's heard them from outside and looked at one another with smiles before walking away to pretend to still be finding them.

Jack turned to Carla and smiled. He grabbed a little ring pop off the dresser beside him and took it out of the wrapper. "I wanna make you a promise." He smiled.

"What is it?" The girl asked from beside him. 

The boy grabbed her hand and put the ring pop on her right hand. "I promise you that one day I'm going to marry you." He smiled.

"Oh, Jack. We're so young. You know to not make promises you can't keep." A sigh escaped Carla after saying that.

"I will keep it, though."

2024 - Present Day

Carla let out a shaky breath as she looked at herself in the mirror. Today was the day. The day she has been waiting to arrive for 18 years. Today she gets to marry her best friend.

Her mom smiled with tears in her eyes. The woman couldn't believe her baby girl was all grown up. They hugged tightly until the door opened to reveal Jack's brothers in the doorway with smiled plastered on their faces. 

Carla smiled brightly at them and hugged them tightly. "I'm so glad you guys made it!" She cheered.

The two brothers smiled at her. "We wouldn't miss it for the world." Quinn smiled softly.

"Plus, would it really be a party without me?" Luke joked.

"We told you we're not letting you drink, Luke. My dad's literally a cop and we don't need you arrested for underage drinking." Carla rolled her eyes.

"Why can't we still live in Toronto?" Luke whined, giving the shorter girl a hug and kissing her head. "I'll see you out there. I gotta go make sure Jack doesn't escape and come see you." He chuckled to himself and left.

Quinn followed him after giving the young bride one last hug and wishing her luck. Ellen walked in a few minutes after her sons' walked out and her hands flew to her mouth. 

"Oh, sweetie." She gasped, hugging the girl tightly in a group hug with Carla's mom. 

An hour later, Carla walked out to the isle just around the corner so no one could see her. She and Jack decided to not do first looks and keep their reactions walking down the isle completely raw and emotional. Unfortunately, her father ended up being an identity thief and was arrested, so he wasn't there. So Jim offered to walk her down the isle. 

Carla took a deep breath as she hooked her arm with her soon to be father-in-law. The music started playing and she stepped around the corner, her white corset dress flowing gracefully behind her. Tears pricked her eyes as she saw Jack at the end of the isle, also holding tears in his eyes as well as a giant grin on his face.

Jim let her go, kissing her cheek before stepping into his place beside Ellen. Jack grabbed Carla's hands softly as she handed her bouquet to Marla, Quinn's daughter, as well as her honourary bridesmaid since she loves hanging out with her aunt and going dress shopping. She actually picked out the dress Carla had on.

The ceremony seemed to go by in a flash. But neither Jack nor Carla were listening, just gazing into each other's eyes happily and lovingly. Eventually, they were told it was time for the vows. Jack was going first, so he pulled out his note card with his vows written on them. He smiled and looked up at Carla before speaking.

"Carla, when we first met 20 years ago, I knew I had found my best friend. You were super shy and hid behind your mom when she tried introducing you to me. Me, being the naive kid I was, assumed you didn't like me. But I tried, nonetheless, to befriend you. We ran around the house when your mom said you needed to leave. Three years later, little did we know we'd be in the same situation. We ran into my bedroom and closed the door as our mom's tried to find us. I grabbed a ring pop off of my dresser and made a promise to you." He took a deep breath to try and keep himself composed. "I promised you I'd marry you. I remember you saying that we were too young and that I shouldn't make promises I can't keep. But I knew it was one I'd keep. When I was drafted to the Devils in 2019, you opted to up and move your whole life to Newark with me. Now, I won't lie, 2019 was one of the worst years of my life between Covid and my rookie season. But you stood with me through it all. You've always been there for me, and for that, I'll always love you so, so much. I can't imagine any other person I'd be standing here with than you." With that, Jack finished his speech with a tear falling down his cheek and a loving smile on his face. 

Next, it was Carla's turn. "Jack Hughes. That's a name that is a world wide sensation now." That received a few chuckles, including Jack. "In all seriousness, I remember every moment we've had together. I remember what would now be, what, five years ago that we graduated? I knew my grades were super bad." Her mom gave her a look, obviously hearing this for the first time. "I didn't think I'd be able to graduate. I tried to hide it from you since you were on Team USA and had enough on your plate with the draft coming up. But you had seen right through me and made me confess. You helped me study and reassured me I'd graduate, and look where we are today. You play for New Jersey and I work for New Jersey. That was the day I decided that I 100% found my partner in crime for the rest of my life. Jack Hughes, I love you so much, and I'm so damn excited to become Carla Hughes." Once she finished, she had tears running down her face. Never has she appreciated water proof mascara more in her life.

The priest smiled and nodded. "Do you, Jack Hughes, take Carla Green to be your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health?" 

"I do." Jack smiled brightly.

"Do you, Carla Green, take Jack Hughes to be your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health?" 

"I do." Carla grinned.

"With the power vested in me, by the state of New Jersey, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." The priest spoke happily.

The couple wasted no time. Jack dipped Carla as their lips connected in a passionate first kiss as a married couple. Family and friends cheered loudly as the couple separated with a smile. They turned and walked down the isle. Well, more like danced down the isle. Once they finally got around the corner, the two smiled and hugged one another.

"I love you, Jack Hughes."

"I love you, Carla Hughes."

***

THIS IS MY FAV ONE I'VE WRITTEN ON THIS BOOK ATM

I'm gonna write a 20k special too! I meant to write it last week but never got to it haha

WC: 1283