Chapter 5: Injured

Wei Wuxian's collection had proven a lot more helpful than the Nie's. But in the end it didn't matter. Lan Xichen had gone right back to the way things used to be. They didn't speak, barely even acknowledged each other's existence. And that worm kept on touching Lan Xichen every chance he got.

But Jiang Cheng was too caught up in his own feelings to truly care. He'd spent all week pondering what had gone wrong. Was Zewu-jun pretending that nothing had happened? Was he too embarrassed? Did he regret it? Or perhaps the explanation was even worse: Had Jiang Cheng imagined it all? Had Lan Xichen simply been his tutor, with no ulterior thoughts or motives.

Thinking back, he couldn't remember for sure that the Lan had reciprocated as he moved in for the kiss. All he could remember was the Lan recoiling after Wei Ying opened the door. Would he have done so regardless of whether the Wei had entered or not? Perhaps he had used the interruption as a safe way out of an uncomfortable situation. They were both going to become sect leaders, he might not have wanted to upset the Jiang by outright rejecting him. If that's the case Jiang Cheng was happy for his brother arriving when he did. The idea that Jiang Wanyin might have accidentally stolen a kiss from the unwilling sect heir Lan if he didn't was unpleasant.

"Are you daydreaming about Lan Xichen again?" A teasing voice whispered. Jiang Cheng sent a deadly glare at his brother, only to find that the classroom was empty. Class was over and he hadn't paid attention to any of it.

"I'm just tired" Jiang Cheng said as he began to pack up his things.

"Well, then you better go straight home and rest up right now. I've heard from Lan Zhan that there will barely be any sleep to be had during the trip."

"Trip?" Jiang Cheng asked, he hadn't heard of any trip.

"You've been blanking out all day? It was among one of the first things Lan Qiren said. He mentioned he'd be taking us out night hunting since there's been rumors of a large amount of fierce corpses roaming the woods a day's trip from the Cloud Recesses. Nothing difficult but it requires a lot of disciples to deal with. Best of all, we get some time away from this cramped space."

Jiang Cheng was embarrassed. If he was paying less attention in class than Wei Wuxian something was really wrong. He needed to get Lan Xichen out of his head. Perhaps this night hunt would be good for him. Some time away from the Cloud Recesses and Zewu-jun might be just what he needed.

"Yeah, that sounds good. When will we be heading out?" Jiang Cheng agreed with his older brother, there were too many lessons inside the classrooms and not enough sword practice. The Lans were a lot more sedentary than the Jiangs were.

"Early tomorrow morning" Wei Wuxian responded.

"Jiang early or Lan early?" Because waking up at five am every morning was already very early according to anyone not a Lan.

Wei Ying silently smiled, and not in a happy way.

"Lan early?" Jiang Cheng asked with a groan. To which he got a nod in return.

"Three am to be exact. Apparently it's to make sure we can set up camp before it gets dark" Jiang Cheng groaned yet again. "But don't be too upset yet brother. There is some good news" Wei Ying's smile turned smug.

"Yeah? Will Lan Wangji be joining us?" He teased back as the two made their way out of the classroom. Wei Ying had mocked him about the older Jade Lan every day since he burst in on their tutoring session, it was time for some payback. he too could tease about his brother's unreciprocated crush.

"Of course he will. But I also heard we will have today's teacher joining us as well" Wei Ying smirked as though there had been a grand reveal of some kind.