Chapter 12: An Unexpected Visit

Jiang Cheng was tired even as he woke up. Feeling Lan Xichen's strong arms around him he knew he had messed up. He always made sure to return home before anyone, anyone being Wei Ying, noticed he was missing. But last night Lan Huan had been more enthusiastic than usual. He had lasted an additional two hours and Jiang Cheng had been left too exhausted to even clean himself up. Remembering small flashes in between dreams he thought Lan Xichen might have bathed him and put him to bed after they were done.

"Good morning" Lan Huan placed a gentle kiss on the Jiang's forehead as he noticed his lover stir awake. Jiang Wanyin opened his eyes to the most beautiful sight he knew, Lan Huan's face.

"Lan Huan, can I ask you for something?" Jiang Cheng had thought about if for a while and reached the conclusion that perhaps he should ask the Lan after all.

"Anything you want." Lan Xichen said, responding with the line of the perfect boyfriend.

"Do you think you can put in a word for Wei Ying with Lan Wangji? I know he's a pest, but he genuinely seems to like him" Jiang Cheng still felt bad for wanting to ruin his brother's chances with the man as a form of petty revenge a couple months ago. Asking Zewu-jun to help the Wei out would clear his guilty conscience. Better yet, getting to go on a real date might make Wei Wuxian less likely to get punished on purpose just to spend time with the Lan.

"Don't worry about it. I already have" Lan Xichen said before pressing his lips against the Jiang's forehead once more.

"You have?" Jiang Cheng asked, surprised his lover would have done such a thing.

"Yes, I believe Wei Wuxian could be a good influence on my brother..."

"Good influence?" Jiang Cheng scoffed in disbelief. Wei Ying had never been a good influence on anyone.

"Haha, I mean he might be able to get Lan Wangji out of his shell. I think that would be good for him. Besides, with the way he looks at your brother I'm surprised he hasn't banged him already." Jiang Cheng raised an eyebrow, he hadn't noticed Lan Wangji acting any different around Wei Wuxian compared to anyone else. He was still the same stone-faced cultivator as always, only difference being calling the Wei by his given name. But that wasn't by choice, Wei Ying would straight up refuse to respond to him if he didn't. A tactic Jiang Cheng's brother had revealed to him with glee before encouraging the Jiang to do the same with Zewu-jun to get him to call him 'Jiang Cheng'. Not knowing that Lan Xichen was already doing so in private.

"What will our excuse be for me being here so early?" Jiang Cheng asked. Their explanation didn't need to be elaborate, as long as they were consistent it should be enough.

"I've managed to work ahead lately. We could say you were helping me out to learn the ropes of becoming a sect leader." There hadn't been any more tutoring sessions after that first one. As it turns out Lan Xichen had only used it as an excuse to get closer to him, so now that they were together it was no longer necessary. If he wanted them to spend time together, all he had to do was ask.

"How much time does that give us?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"Another fifteen minutes in bed and if you want there's enough work that you can stay and help out for another hour" Lan Xichen said as he pulled his lover closer, nuzzling up against the top of the Jiang's head. Spending time with Zewu-jun helping out with his sect work sounded a lot nicer than doing his own sect work ever had. Perhaps because helping the Lan out was the duty of his future cultivation partner. Thinking about them being married one day sent butterflies down the Jiang's stomach.

Loud clamping could be heard as someone burst into Zewu-jun's home without knocking. Jiang Cheng felt the Lan's arm protectively wrap against him as he was hidden from view. It all happened so fast there wasn't even enough time for him to get scared. All of a sudden a heavy piece of fabric hit Jiang Cheng right in the face.