𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 17: 𝒮𝓃𝑜𝓌'𝓈 𝑀𝒶𝓃𝓈𝒾𝑜𝓃

Raven is back from the beach with Finnick in the nick of time. She situates herself behind the doors right as they open. She steps onto the stage, holding the cards in her hands. She looks around, seeing a big crowd of united, strong people. In front of her are two stages with the families of Misty and Poseidon, their pictures on display behind them. 

        Raven clears her throat, approaching the microphone. "Hello," her voice echos out. She feels more awkward than how she did in District 5. "Thank you for joining me here today, in the next stretch of the victor's tour," she robotically says. 

        Looks of distaste are all fully worn on the faces of the people of district 4. All of them look to be annoyed with her presence. What am I doing? 

        She puts down the cards, hearing slight gasps of anticipation from the huge crowd. "Misty and Poseidon may be some of the strongest tributes District 4 has ever presented," Raven begins. "Back in the runt districts, we call you guys careers. Ferocious, radicals, full of yourselves," she chuckles slightly to herself at the end, bowing her head down. "But not Misty and Poseidon," she continues. "Despite their background and the odds being ever in their favor,  they were both honest and kind individuals. Poseidon didn't let his pride take over him when he taught me techniques during training, and he was always honest about his intentions. Misty never bowed her head down to me or looked at me as if I was inferior." She inhaled a shaky breath, looking at both the families. "I can only imagine your pain by remembering the day my parents uh... perished."  The people of district four murmured amongst themselves, realizing what "perished," meant. "Knowing how my family died, and the circumstances in which these two beautiful humans died is heartbreaking," she professes. "The families of Misty and Poseidon, knowing that no words I say will reduce the hate or indifference or pain you feel looking at me, I want to express my deepest sorrows for your losses, and how sorry I am for being the cause of your sadness. Your children were too kind,  and they unfortunately were punished for that. And I'm sorry that I had to do that." She takes a deep breath, tears in the back of your throat. "I'll waste no more of your time," she quietly says, turning her back to the audience just as she hears yelling and crying. Opal immediately pulls her in backstage, a look of fury on her face.  

        Everyone can still hear the yells of outrage as the doors slam to a close. Finnick and Oakley are both in shock at her speech, and Opal is furious. She grabs Raven by her shoulders aggressively, holding the little girl in front of her. "What the hell was that!?" She screams. "Are you out of your damn mind? Thinking about the day your parents perished? Talking about other districts in your speech and all the bullshit Snow will take the wrong way?" She scoffs, shoving Raven back more harshly than she expected. Raven stumbles back, holding onto the chair behind her. 

        "It isn't that big of a deal-" she begins before getting cut off. 

        "Not a big deal?" She outrages. "You just admitted to careers being full of themselves. You showed sorrow for the tributes and you showed a personal connection. And most of all, the people of District 4 aren't stupid! They'll know what you mean by 'perished.' Not to mention those not-so-subtle hints you dropped about the Capitol being shitty as fuck. As if they don't know that already!" Opal groans in frustration, pulling at her hair. "You'll be lucky if you even have a family by the time you're back home. First you say smart things during the reaping and interview, and now you go on pulling that stunt? Great job sweetie, you've earned yourself a one way ticket to an empty home!" She finishes her outburst, walking out from the room and back to the train, still red from anger. 

        Everyone in the room is in disbelief, Raven more so than the others. She turns away from where Opal was standing and to Finnick. "Is she right?" She squeaks out. Not getting a response from him makes it worse. Raven raises her voice slightly, beginning to speak but her voice catches in her throat. "Is she right?" The tears from onstage are threatening to make a reappearance.