Chapter 7 - The Depressing Party

The purpose of the party is to celebrate Luxtal's recovery. It's only natural that Luxtal, the guest of honor, and Bragston, who fought alongside him in the Folk Strait, are present. Since she was also there, it's not strange that she was invited. However...

Cielia was shrinking back. Two of the Empire's Three Generals were present, which made sense since they were then and now the two men's superiors, but Senator Guinea, who is known as an outspoken pro-war person and alleged ties to the military-industrial complex, felt out of place. Even more out of place is the Army officer Ramball, representing the last of the Empire's Three Generals as the deputy to the Imperial Capital Defense Force Commander Siegs. No matter how illustrious Luxtal's military achievements are, this lineup is too extravagant.

But the most out of place is the Intelligence Bureau. Bamidal who was stationed in Leifor is in attendance. However, he's here on official duty, supposedly for information sharing with the Navy leadership. This suspicious gathering took a turn far beyond Cielia's imagination.

After the toast, Caesar, the host of the meeting, started off. "There's actually a present. It's something quite surprising."

"Thank you. Does it mean I can command a ship again?"

Caesar chuckled. "Do you really want to be on a ship that much? The instructors are handling things well, aren't they? I've received reports from the principal. 'His accounts of real combat experiences not only refine the tactics of cadets but also temper their spirits.' I've never heard such an evaluation before."

"That's an exaggeration."

"Actually, the present was prepared by the Intelligence Bureau," Caesar said and turned to Bamidal. "Show it."

Bamidal brought over a souvenir from Naguano and placed it on a table with a caster. Then, he connected the power and pressed the play button on the DVD player. The video of a naval review played on the portable TV.

"This is a naval review of the Japanese navy."

Everyone peered at the somewhat small screen.

"'Maritime Self-Defense Force'?" Army officer Ramball asked.

"It refers to the Japanese navy. The Japanese call their military the 'Self-Defense Forces.'"

The screen showed escort vessels sailing in formation.

"They've gathered this many devils?"

In response to Luxtal's words, Ramball reacted again.

"The (Gra Valkas) Navy is probably far superior in terms of numbers."

"The Grade Atlastar and a mobile unit were outmatched by a fleet of eight ships."

Caesar responded to Ramball instead of Luxtal. To emphasize the threat of Japan's escort flotilla, Kaiser deliberately uses the term 'fleet.'

"Did you find it boring? There's also footage of the Japanese army."

Having been shown the video of the Fuji Firepower Exercise, Ramball's face turned pale.

. . .

At this point, Cielia was beginning to understand the true purpose of this party.

'Is this a party to gather those opposing war!?'

However, Cielia couldn't shake off the faces of her superior, Gesta, and her subordinate, Dallas, and felt depressed. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs would not easily admit its mistakes. Following the incident of Prince Hilas' assassination, a purge swept through the ministry. Non-war proponents were dismissed one after another, replaced by those advocating for military action. Currently, there is an atmosphere where even suggesting peace is regarded with hesitation.