Chapter 25 - The Enemy Overhead

For the citizens of the Ragna, the Pal Chimera had become an object of terror. When it moved, people on the ground would scramble to escape. Some of the Pal Chimera's crew found it amusing, but Walman remained expressionless. Or, more accurately, he was indifferent; an emotion worse than hatred or fear.

"That's probably the government district. We'll drop a Zebil there."

Giving this order, Walman lacked the imagination to realize that the people scrambling on the ground were equals to himself. He only thought about efficiently carrying out orders.

. . .

In the midst of chaos, the trio, led by Caesar reached the Capital Defense Force command center.

"Sir, I have brought Sir Caesar and Mrs. Mirkennes," Ramball reported.

Everyone inside turned to look at them. All but one wondered "Why Mirkennes too?"

The sole exception simply said, "Just in time."

And without delay, he brought up the matter.

"Lend me all the Rigels you've got."

It was too sudden even for Caesar. The Army didn't use Rigels, which were primarily designed for torpedo runs.

"We're also responsible for the lives of our soldiers. Can't just say 'sure, here you go!' Explain yourself."

"We'll use them to attack the enemy."

"I know that even without you saying it. Doing a level bombing will have the attackers shot down before dropping the bombs."

"Not like that."

"Those planes can't do dive bombings."

"Not that either. They will drop the bomb as they climb."

When everyone present was dumbfounded, Siegs showed a photograph of a tracer round's trajectory.

"This the trajectory that passed directly under the enemy. The beginning and end trajectories are parabolic, but it went straight in the middle."

Caesar took the photo from Siegs, with Mirkennes and Ramball peering from his sides. There were straight lines drawn over the trajectory in the photo, following it as if tracing the path. Just as Siegs had said, the trajectory of the tracer round perfectly overlapped with a straight line in the middle.

"What are you trying to say?"

Cesar thought it would be quicker to ask Siegs than to figure it out himself. The situation was critical.

"The gravity is nonexistent directly underneath that thing. It's in zero gravity."

Caesar resisted the urge to call him bullshit or ask why. Siegs shouldn't know the reason why; he was just stating facts obtained through experimentation and observation.

"So the wheel isn't falling because it isn't affected by the gravity? And?" Mirkennes prompted for more information.

"The Rigels are going to fly under it and drop the bombs. Once they're in zero gravity, the lift will naturally make the nose point upward. The lack of gravity means that the plane's apparent climb would require no energy. Even Rigels can do a vertical climb. After climbing, confirm the trajectory with the forward machine guns, jettison the payload if those hit the target, and the Rigels can safely retreat."

Caesar understood in an instant, while Mirkennes needed a few seconds. However, most of those present found it challenging to comprehend.

"Even so, it's a daunting task to hit it if it keeps moving," Caesar countered.