Chapter 18 - Shaking Bridge

"Captain, the distance with the enemy is now under 39,000 meters," Myrus urged Minilar.

"Gunnery officer, load torpedoes."

"Already loaded, water intake complete. Shall we fire all six, sir?"

In response to the officer's question, Minilar nodded.

"Of course."

The gunnery officer commanded his subordinates.

"Open the firing ports."

"Ports open, ready."

"Launch the torpedoes."

"Launching the torpedoes."

Two torpedoes were launched. The crew of the La Kasami Kai repeated the same operation two more times, firing a total of six torpedoes.

"It will take a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 23 minutes until the torpedoes hit," Myrus announced.

. . .

On the surface, the artillery battle continued.

The La Kasami Kai had its sights on the Canis Major-class cruiser Furud.

The first shot missed by about 3 meters, but the next one hit near the waterline. Although small, a hole was created, and water started to seep in. It wasn't enough to sink the Furud, but its speed decreased. The ship would continue to be bombarded with more shells.

. . .

"Fucking disappointment!"

Maynard, watching this situation from the bridge of the Meissa, gritted his teeth. Despite being overwhelmingly superior, they were being played in a one-sided game by the enemy.

"Have the Amateru support the Furud. Meissa, continue advancing toward the enemy, close the distance in the shortest range possible!"

"We are already advancing at full speed towards the enemy, sir," Captain Othniel replied.

. . .

"It's not sinking easily," Minilar muttered. The Scorpius-class destroyer sank with 3 to 4 hits, but the light cruiser Furud, hit by nearly twice that number of Type 93s, refused to go down.

The Taurus-class cruiser Amateru attempted to interpose itself between the two, but just a moment earlier, the Furud took its tenth direct hit. Though there were already holes in the Furud's first turret, a Type 93 shell entered the breach, exploded internally, and triggered an explosion in the magazine. The Furud snapped in two and rapidly sank to the seabed. The torpedo officer attempted to aim at the Amateru, but Myrus held him back.

"The torpedoes are already heading towards that heavy cruiser. We should prioritize the remaining two light cruisers."

For a moment, the La Kasami Kai's bridge fell silent.

"Engineer, I think you started to interrupt too much," Rohat finally retorted. Just as tensions seemed about to escalate, Myrus gracefully backed down.

"My apologies."

With Myrus stepping back, the torpedo officer adjusted the aim towards the Amateru. Minilar silently observed the situation.

Later on, Minilar would regret not speaking up during that silence.

. . .

The Sōryū-class submarine Ōryū was heading north off the coast of Otaheit. Ōryū, mingling with a convoy escorted by Escort Flotilla 1, was en route to the Mu Continent.