Chapter 9 - Each of the Four Is Different

Mu's ambassador to Japan, Yuuhi, accompanied by a military attaché, paid a visit to Hanai, Director of the Second Civilization Area Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

After exchanging greetings, they quickly got down to business.

"What brings you here this time?"

Hanai thought it might be a request for the T-4 Kai, but that was only half correct.

"Actually, Mu is considering a military operation in Leifor."

Hanai didn't show it on his face, but he was surprised inwardly.

"I'll let him explain the details."

"Please wait a moment. We will also summon someone knowledgeable in military affairs."

. . .

The military operation by Mu was a retaliation against the Otaheit Air Raid. It aimed to conduct an aerial attack on Leiforia using the Yamuts. It wasn't about bombing something specific; rather, it intended to temporarily seize control of the airspace over Leiforia. At best, it can be viewed as a military deterrent, or at worst, it was an act of spite.

However, the objective of the operation itself was not necessarily bad. It was essential to restrain the Gra Valkan military aircraft that repeatedly violated airspace with impunity. But the timing was too early. The deployment of the Yamut had just begun, and an adequate number was not yet available. While the aircraft could be procured with urging in Japan, the same couldn't be said for the pilots.

. . .

"What will happen to the pilots? I don't think there will be enough of them," asked JASDF Colonel Naitō, who was hastily summoned.

"We plan to shorten the training time for pilots and expedite their development," replied the military attaché. Judging from his expression as he spoke, he himself seemed reluctant.

"I cannot recommend that. It may lead to the unnecessary loss of valuable pilots and aircraft."

"The upper ranks of our air force highly value the performance of the Blue Impulse. If aerobatic pilots could excel to that extent, even pilots with some training deficiencies in combat might—"

"Wait a moment. It seems there's a serious misunderstanding here," Naitō quickly interrupted. "The Blue Impulse pilots are not aerobatic specialists; they are active-duty fighter pilots."

. . .

In the past, the members of the Blue Impulse had fixed positions. However, it is currently organized on a three-year term basis.

The Blue Impulse recruits volunteers from within the squadron and selects new members. The selected members spend the first year entirely dedicated to training. From the second year onward, they engage in aerobatic performances. After three years, they return to their original units from Blue Impulse. The vacancies are then filled by recruiting new volunteers. With this approach, more pilots can experience being part of the Blue Impulse, and pilots can consider participation in Blue Impulse as part of their career development.

. . .

"In other words, the members of the Blue Impulse are selected from pilots who have already undergone considerable combat training and experience."

"...I wasn't aware of that."

The military attaché took a moment to think and then continued, "I will convey this information to our home country. They will likely reconsider the operation."