Chapter 19 - The Witching Hour

The submarine Ōryū was using passive sonar to investigate the situation in the combat zone.

"Status report."

In response to Captain Nagashima's inquiry, the hydrophone operator looked troubled.

"The impact sounds of shells are intense, and it's quite chaotic. I can only estimate the ratio of ships as 9 to 1. Also, there are 12 torpedoes in the water."

"There are supposed to be six Type 89s from the La Kasami Kai, could it be the Gra Valkan torpedoes?"

"They seem to have used the Type 97 as well. The probability of sinking due to insufficient range is high."

"Is there a chance for the Type 89 to hit?"

"Although La Kasami Kai can't use towed sonar in this situation, the bow sonar should be operational, so there is a possibility of hitting."

"What's the distance to the combat zone?"

"Assuming no thermocline in this area, it's around 18 nautical miles."

"It's not clear if we can make it there in time," Deputy Izumi commented. "We need to hold out for another 30 minutes at least, and it will be tough even if we push for 20 minutes."

The Nagashima's expression turned stern.

"Do we increase speed and ignore fuel consumption?"

In response to Izumi's question, the captain nodded.

"The worst that can happen is that we'll have to wait on the seabed until the Towada or the tender arrives, but we can't abandon our allies."

The submarine Ōryū accelerated from cruising speed. Unlike other Sōryū-class submarines, Ōryū was equipped with lithium-ion batteries, allowing for flexible acceleration and deceleration.

. . .

The La Kasami Kai continued desperate evasive maneuvers. Since they couldn't hit, they had stopped firing. Watching the situation from the bridge of the Meissa, Maynard ordered Othniel.

"I'm tired of watching this shitty dance. Move Meissa forward at full speed. If the Meissa's shooting accuracy improves, we might be able to sink that weird ship."

"Full speed ahead."

Othniel followed the commander's orders and conveyed the command to the subordinates. The Meissa once again accelerated to 30 knots, closing the distance with the La Kasami Kai.

. . .

Not only the Meissa, but the accuracy of the Ishtam Fleet's gunfire had improved. Naturally, accuracy would increase with repeated shots and continuous adjustments to the aim.

Finally, the radar operator screamed, "We can't avoid this!"

"It doesn't matter if the destroyer's guns hit us. Just avoid the battleship!" Minilar shouted back.

A 127 mm shell from the Scorpius-class destroyer hit the port side deck of the La Kasami Kai. Equipment was destroyed and fragments scattered, but the deck held on, and the shell didn't penetrate.

"Damage report!" Minilar barked.

"Short torpedo launch tube damaged. No fire occurred."

The crew on the bridge breathed a sigh of relief. If the short torpedoes had been intact, the damage might have been more extensive. However, the short torpedoes were still running underwater.