Chapter 12: Lunch Fight

The otome game seemed to have gotten one major plot point wrong here. The villainess boy clearly didn't hold a tinge of positive feelings towards the heroine. In fact, they appeared to have a pure hate relationship...! He would be stupid to still think Killian's younger half-brother was in love with Monet!

Darius walked in between the two bickering teenagers. Whenever Monet would meet Declan's gaze she would stick her tongue out tauntingly. Under gritted teeth, Declan would reply sharply, "Someone needs to be escorted back to preschool it seems."

Is this the legendary hate at first sight...?

Darius had a bad feeling in his heart.

Why weren't they following the character settings? Did Declan fall in love with her later in the game? Whatever it was, it didn't quite add up. If the heroine wasn't the reason he acted up in the story then what was..?

Before he could contemplate on the matter longer, they had already arrived at the cafeteria by following the crowd. Some people gazed over at the three. After all, they didn't have the greatest of reputations at school. Two of the lowest scoring 11th year nobles next to one of the smartest snobbiest 10th year in the school.

When Darius turned his head to look at Declan, the blonde boy was already 10 meters away. He had to pull him over with Monet regardless of his slowly reddening face and fervent resistance.

"Does it have to be the cafeteria...?" His head was quietly fuming as he glanced around, biting his lips. "Why can't you just buy snacks at the school store?"

"School store snacks? I'd die if that was all I ate!" Monet raised an eyebrow with disgust as she said self-righteously, "A highschool student should eat a feast for lunch everyday!" She started to pile a tray full of meat on meat. There wasn't a single vegetable on that tray.

At this point, Darius wanted to distance himself too but he couldn't any longer. It didn't help that the original Killian was known to be Monet's lapdog already. He face palmed internally as he went over and got his own tray, feigning nonchalance. This time too, he and her were the only nobles in the line. The rest were servants getting meals for their masters or unprivileged commoners.

Unlike Monet, Darius made sure to have a variety of dishes on his tray but as he neared the end he started to sweat again. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he came to a startling realisation. No money...

Monet seemed to notice as she rummaged through her own pockets for some extra change. Unfortunately, only a few coins dropped on the floor with a clang that caused complete utter silence to erupt in the dining hall.

Monet nervously scratched her face as she squatted down and picked up the fallen coins, slowly sliding the few miserable coins over the counter to Darius. Darius didn't know this world's currency well, but he definitely knew this wasn't going to be enough.

The nobles broke out in whispers, "Did Baron Hindle and Count Trevino go bankrupt?"

Another one replied back with disbelief, "No way, the Baron might but isn't the Count like super rich. Don't tell me it's..." A gasp came out of their mouths.

"Well, he is an illegitimate child..."

Declan who was listening from the sidelines almost went insane. He made the people beside him shut up with a singular glare as he stomped over loudly and slammed a whole pouch of gold coins right on top of Monet's measly money.

"That's enough, right?" He questioned the person manning the register domineeringly.

"Yessir," The worker flinched at the shining pile of gold. He took one gold coin and proceeded to return the rest in change.

Everyone else was briefly stunned before they started to talk amongst themselves again. Darius seemed relieved but a bit embarrassed of himself. This was the second time he forgot to bring his lunch money... This kid really wasn't too bad after all.

Meanwhile, in the distance, a green haired individual paused in his actions. He slowly placed the millions of gold back into his storage ring.

"Thank you," Darius said to Declan gratefully.

Declan replied with a hmph and turned his head away. His ears were twinged a slight red, "Whatever... I couldn't have you stain the family's reputation with your idiocy."

Monet picked up the coins on the counter with a slight sob, feeling very poor, "I'm sorry I couldn't help better Lili..." Her voice was dejected.

Darius reassured her and they found a place to sit down together. Declan was a bit hesitant to sit next to them. In fact, he refused to even get food. His body would move uncomfortably when he looked around. Monet who thought he was being a stubborn brat tugged at his sleeve and sat him down between her and Darius.

"What are you doing standing there so weirdly? Sit down," Monet said while holding his shoulder down. She had the strength of a gorilla

"You-!" Declan felt his forehead twitching, "You orc!" He slapped her hand off his shoulder.

"What did you just say?" Hearing that, the heroine stopped in her actions of shoving meat down her throat, "I'll show you what an orc is like!"

Darius on the other hand didn't even bother stopping their little scuttle that started beside him as he was too busy rejoicing in his meal! Ahh, these tenderloins were the best. He was so hungry all day so he couldn't help it. That was until an entire meat slice hit his face and slowly rolled down until it reached the ground.

His smiling face froze, he was still smiling as he turned his head and looked over at the two. "What do you think you're doing?"

Monet immediately gave the blame to someone else with a telling finger, "He did it."

"No, I didn't!" Declan scrunched up his nose and growled. "You clearly threw that."

Before Darius could reprimand them for wasting precious food like that. A hand reach under his seat picking up the fallen meat slice.

To his further demise, a man with blonde hair resembling Declan's appeared. His blue eyes drooped down pleasantly as a small smile graced his lips handsomely. It was the man from yesterday who was right beside the Duke's son.

He pinched the meat slice between his fingers and asked, "Is this perhaps yours?"

Both Declan and Monet stared at the other with widened eyes as they immediately ceased their argument. Darius squinted at him and slowly scooted away little by little. Just who was he to make the whole cafeteria look over this way?! Once again, Darius had a really bad feeling.