【Chapter 21】

The band stopped fiddling with their instruments, turning their attention towards their female bandmate. She points at Junyu, him doing the same, but giving her a confused look. 

"Me?" He guesses. She nods with a hum. 

"Your surname is Xu right? Do you happen to be related to-" 

"No. I'm not related to your boyfriend's captain" he interrupted with a disappointed sigh. She pouted, huffing at the fact she didn't even get to finish her question. 

"He's not my boyfriend you know..." she sullenly denied. While she did wish it was different, she couldn't change the fact that he wasn't into her. She just had to suck it up and move on. 

The boys looked at each other worriedly, talking with each other through eye contact. Finally, Yang spoke up, "Y/N are you still into him?" She sighed but nodded begrudgingly. 

"He doesn't seem to be into me though, so I'm probably just going to give up trying. If he doesn't like me like that, I might as well move on and just be happy to have him back in my life." 

The boys understood her perspective, but Liu Hao had actually decided to check in on Weiming every so often and had a sneaking suspicion that Weiming was taking a more romantic notice of Y/N as of recent. He had no verbal confirmation or physical proof, but he trusted his gut. Besides, if there was a chance that Weiming actually wanted to be with her, then she shouldn't waste that chance. For now though, the boys dropped the subject, going back to practicing for their upcoming concert. 

Although, not before Liu Hao commented, "I swear, I will slap you upside the head at how oblivious the both of you are..." That however, got him a personal slap by Y/N with her notebook. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After practice y/n left on her own, mentioning how she had to help out her parents with something that was urgent. The boys then discussed what they'd do and decided to head to a cafe to grab some drinks and chill out for the afternoon. The entered a small family-owned cafe, the walls made of dark oak and the seating very modernized. It was a nice blend of naturalistic and modern aesthetics. 

After grabbing their drinks and finding a table to sit at, Liu Hao began to silently people watch. He would listen and comment in the boys conversation every so often, but he liked to sit and people watch most times. The others didn't mind it after having known him for quite some time. Amidst his observations, he noticed Weiming sitting on his own with a few books and loose paper strewn about on his table, what he guessed was Weiming's personal laptop in the middle of the messy pile. He quickly shared this new information with the others, debating on whether or not to approach him. However, the others made that decision for him, having stood up themselves to go talk to the boy in question. 

"Yo, Weiming right? You remember us?" Yang hollered as he made his way across the cafe. Weiming sat up, taking notice of the trio heading in his direction. He nodded, cleaning up his papers and textbooks to make things a little neater for them.  

"What brings you guys here?" He asked formally. After having only one real talk with Y/N's bandmates, he hadn't really had another besides the few short chats with Liu Hao. 

"Nothing much, we just needed to talk with you." Junyu ominously answered. Weiming nodded and the boys sat themselves in front of him. 

"Are you still into that one girl you mentioned the first time we met?" He asked. Weiming sighed sadly and shook his head. 

"No. I've come to realize that she likes someone else. No matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't be enough to get her attention the way I wished I could." Weiming trailed off. He was going to mention his situation with Y/N, but wasn't sure about it. So he left that thought to trail off. 

The boys continued to interrogate him, asking questions but getting vague answers. Liu Hao wasn't going to beat around the bush, he was tired of them dancing back and forth. "Do you like Y/N at all romantically?" 

Weiming sputtered, having choked on his water. His face bright red and eyes frantically dodging Liu Hao's. "I-I uh... Yeah. She's caught my eye I guess, but I don't want to jeopardize our friendship. I already mentioned to her how I liked Xingzi. I don't want to say anything and have her thinking she's a rebound." 

"Well is she?" Junyu asked. 

Weiming shook his head frantically, "No! She isn't I swear! Honestly, after I let Xingzi go, I've noticed Y/N a lot more. Don't get me wrong, she's a great friend, but I noticed new things about her. Things I didn't see when I was preoccupied with pinning over Xingzi..." 

"I don't think that's all there is to this. There's other reasons too, isn't there?" Liu Hao coaxed. He knew there was way more than what Weiming had said. It was evident through his body language: tensed shoulders, darting eyes, the sad look in his eyes that glossed over slightly as if he had recalled a bad moment. Weiming looked to be having a mental debate before nodding his head sheepishly. 

"I've made some bad mistakes because of my infatuation with Xingzi. I made excuses to hang out with her when Y/N would suggest hanging out, skipping practice to fruitlessly try to win over Xingzi. She had found out on her own. I lost part of her trust from then, and I'm still trying to amend for a few other things too. I'm not sure why she's still friends with me to be completely honest. I haven't been the best person nor friend to her recently." 

The boys knew Y/N's side to the situation, and now they knew Weiming's. At the end of it all, it was just a lot of preventative measures and lost signals. "Well if you want her to like you, the first thing you got to do is stop being so oblivious," Yang advised.

 Weiming gave him a questioning glance, but he said nothing more. The boys then chatted with Weiming a little longer before heading out and parting ways. Weiming, who had completely disregarded his schoolwork for the moment, was having an inner battle; debating with himself if he should take a shot in the dark with Y/N. 

"Oh fuck it." He pulled out his phone and pressed on Y/N's contact, typing, deleting, and retyping his message before he felt satisfied with the wording; quickly pressing send while he still had the courage. 

He quickly unsent that last message, resending a different one with just 'Alright see ya!' The more he had texted, more his confidence slipped away

He quickly unsent that last message, resending a different one with just 'Alright see ya!' The more he had texted, more his confidence slipped away. He was hoping she hadn't seen that last message before he deleted it...