Chapter 6: "A Not-so-familiar Face"

Rex stirred, beginning to wake up from his night of pleasant dreams. He moved against the soft sheets of his bed, and finally opened his eyes.

His memories of last night were vivid, and replayed in his mind. He turned in bed, reaching out for Marie, but she wasn't there.

He blinked, sitting up. He rubbed his tired eye, and didn't bother to fix his slightly messy hair. His eyes scanned the room.

"Starlight?"

"Honey!" Marie called.

He turned towards the direction of her voice. She walked out of the bathroom, using his robe to cover her naked body.

"Sorry! I was washing our clothes. You have a cute little washing machine and dryer in there!"

The Commander chuckled, "That's too big for you."

"I kind of like it. It looks like I'm going to fly away." The Princess flapped the oversized sleeves.

He laughed, and moved over, welcoming her back into bed. She slid up next to him, and gave him a sweet kiss on the lips. He kissed her back, and played with her hair.

After the two separated, Marie leaned into him.
"I'm so in love with you."

"I love you too." He paused, "But we're still a secret. It totally sucks that we have to be."

"I have hope that this war will end soon enough. Imagine a world where both of our kingdoms live in harmony. Where everyone is free to love who they want."

"...that sounds nice."
The Princess touched his arm, "How are you feeling?"

"Much better. Don't worry about me. I don't exactly know what's going to happen today, but I'm prepared for anything."

A knock suddenly sounded at the door, surprising the couple. A solider's voice sounded from the other side.

"Commander Dangervest?"
"Uh, yeah?" Rex responded.

"Sorry to bother you, Sir. Um, you just haven't come out to direct us and we're a little behind schedule."

Rex glanced at his bedside clock, realizing how late it was. He was usually up and around at six in the morning. It was approaching nine.

"Shoot, my alarm didn't go off." He paused, "Yeah, um, sorry. I'm behind this morning. I'll be heading out soon."

"And Miss Stardust has been awfully quiet." The Soldier mentioned, "Do you want us to go check on her? We'd be more than happy to."

"No, it's okay. She...tends to sleep late. I'll personally check on her myself."

"...alright. We're ready when you are, Sir."

The Soldier left, and couple sighed in relief. If they had noticed Marie's absence, they would have questioned it. Thankfully, Rex convinced them not to check.

The Commander turned towards his love, and kissed her cheek. "Sorry. Duty calls."

"I understand. Don't worry."

He got out of bed, and started to dress in a rush. Much like the speed he would if there was a sudden alien attack. Underwear, pants, belt, sweater.

"My coat." He mentioned.

"It's in the bathroom."

He nodded, and ran over to the nearby bathroom. He saw his signature tan colored coat sitting on top of the dryer.

He picked it up, smelling how clean it was. He noticed that the tear from last night had been mended, and sewn shut. Marie did say she would do it.

He smiled, and slipped the coat on, adjusting it as he looked at himself in the mirror. He picked up his comb from the counter, and brushed out his hair.