Chapter 11: "Change"

Marie and Rex walked through the Iron Palace, and all eyes were on them. It was unusual to see once enemies getting along so well, but no one questioned it.

It was seen as unwise to question the Leader of Apocalypseburg. Rex was seen as the ultimate power in the city, after all.

The Princess smiled, and tilted her head.
"Do you ever imagine Apocalypseburg as a different kind of Apocalypse? Like a zombie apocalypse?"

"A city full of zombies? That's totally not possible."

"But if it was that would be pretty scary right." Marie shivered, "I have nightmares about zombies! It totally freaks me out!"

"What kind of zombies? Are you talking The Walking Dead or World War Z?"

"Hmm...I haven't seen much much movies lately. Maybe Train to Busan? Not a chance though, right? Those things are so fast, I'd be a goner for sure."

"Then maybe we can be zombies together." Rex nudged her playfully.

The thought was terrifying, yet strangely adorable.

"...how did you manage to make that sound romantic?"

The two eventually stepped outside, and into the sand. Just as expected, there were visitors waiting for them. However, the visitors themselves were unexpected.

Marie didn't recognize them, but Rex knew at least one of them. It was a particular bat themed superhero, and a sidekick dressed in black and blue.

"Hey, uh...Rex Dangervest, yeah? And Princess Stardust."

It was quite the unusual, and unexpected visit.

"Batman? What are you doing here?" The Commander questioned.

"Batman. So, you're Watevra's boyfriend. Last we checked, you were taking charge in Gotham City." His girlfriend added.

"Watevra is the one who sent me your way." The Superhero started, "And though I make very few mistakes, I'll admit that was uncool of me. It was cowardly. I suppose I just wanted to feel of use somewhere."

"But you left Watevra behind." The Princess continued, "That made her really upset. You understand that, right?"

"I know, she told me everything. I didn't mean for this whole thing to turn into a big mess, I just couldn't face her. Not after I lost to Dangervest here. But you won. Fair and square. I just..."

Batman's sidekick noticed his growing sorrow, and decided to speak for him. "My dad promised her everything, I couldn't return with nothing. He's really sorry for everything. You guys deserve more than an apology."

"Wait...Dad?" Rex blinked.

"Oh, this is my son. Dick. He used to be known as 'Robin', but he upgraded to 'NightWing' this year. He's been a big help around Gotham."

"I, uh, didn't realize you had any children. He wasn't here in Apocalypseburg. At least not from what I remember. Were you seeing anyone before Watevra?"

"Ah, no I wasn't. He's adopted. But that doesn't change that he's still my son." Batman paused, "Anyway, on to the really important stuff. Watevra told me to give you this on her behalf. She didn't want to cause a scene with her appearance."

The Masked Superhero reached into the bag attached to his belt, and pulled out a large paper. The Commander grabbed it, and read the words printed on it.

"This is a signed agreement of peace. She mentioned this to us."

"Yes. All she needs is your signature, and this war will officially be over. It will take some time to adjust, but both Apocalypseburg and the Systar System can work on it."