Chapter 8 - Now

"Hope you like strawberries," Darrin says handing me a tall cup filled with a frosty pink liquid, Isobel hovers watching us like were her only source of entertainment, a smile forming on her lips.

"Who doesn't like strawberries?" I say taking a sip, "mmm.... this is actually really good."

"Right," he winks, "it's my newest creation," he begins walking and we follow.

"Darrin's always coming up with new things," Isobel brags, "if you stay for lunch, you'll get to try his famous Kale soup."

I wrinkle my nose.

"Don't knock it till you try it," he says pulling out a chair, but instead of sitting down he holds it for me."

"Oh, thanks," I say surprised.

"Well you're the one that ran here, you gotta be tired."

Isobel glances at my clothing as if it's the first time she's noticed I'm half dressed and I decide to roll with the punches, decide to continue to fabricate the lies that surround my life, "Well, its sorta what I do..."

"How do you mean?"

"I'm run, I'm a runner..." and because it feels good to say it, feels good to believe it, even if just for a minute, "I actually got an athletic Scholarship in Halifax."

"You're serious?" he beams.

"Very serious," I say nodding.

"That's amazing, so...when do you go," he looks at Isobel, "to Halifax?"

"The end of August," the lie has found its place, anchored somewhere deep, so deep I don't know how I'll ever get out of it, "Well that's when we can move in anyway."

"That's amazing Katy!" Isobel says

What I've learnt about Darrin so far; One, he's not good at hiding his emotions, his beautiful face shows everything he's thinking without saying a word. And what he's saying right now is that he's disappointed.

"I'll let you two catch up," Isobel says, "Let me know if you need anything okay."

"Thanks, aunt Izz."

"What about you?" I ask, sitting down across from him. I'm tall, but he's taller and the moment I sit our knees bump into each other beneath the table. A shot of electricity vibrates from my toes all the way to my bellybutton, and I have to take a deep breath in order to focus.

He exhales and leans back into his chair.

And two; he runs his hand through his hair a lot when he's thinking deeply, "No plans right now," his fingers gently tap against the tabletop and I find my gaze pulled to that silver band on his ring finger again, "I actually dropped out of Uni, to help my aunt around here."

That was not what I was expecting, and I feel the shock that must register my reaction, "Oh," I stutter, "that is...not good," I say at the same time he throws his head back and roars with laughter.

"You should see your face," he snickers.

"Well, I don't know what to say!"

"It's all good, it's what I wanted," he smiles genuinely, then leans forward, invading my space, so close I can smell him, smell the woodsy musk and mint and I'm almost positive I stop breathing, until his face turns serious, and he whispers, "my uncle passed away about six months ago."

I gasp loudly, too loud then quickly cover my mouth with my hand, "Isobel's husband?"

"Yeah, Charlie," he says softly, "it was pretty sudden, and she was left to run this place on her own."