Chapter 19 - Now

Over the next month Darrin and I become inseparable, the summer is dwindling and time is running out yet these days have been the most magical moments of my life. We spend late nights on the beach watching fireworks, dancing and singing to music on the strip. We swim and snorkel...Darrin even teaches me how to fish-- though I refuse to touch the gross worm thingy that goes on the end of the hook. We eat ice cream and corndogs, get sunburns and suntans and Darrin's hair turns the golden color of honey. Our afternoons consist of floating in the waves, napping under the cabanas until the sun fades into night and the air becomes heavy with the smell of bonfire, smores and a star filled sky. At the beginning of summer I would have sold my soul to the devil if it meant forgetting every waking moment that led up to it, but this summer...this last month I want to bottle the memory and play it on repeat over and over until it's all I know.

When Darrin pulls into my driveway I'm already half way out the door, it's a beauty day and there is no time to be wasted. Isobel, oh how I love Isobel has given Darrin the rest of the summer off...to spend with me...before I leave...even though I'm not leaving but no one knows that. I have about two and half weeks left before my world implodes and I am doing everything I can to not think about it, avoid avoid avoid.

"Did you bring the sunscreen?" he smiles, the rosiness of his nose crinkling beneath the tightness of his sunburn.

"I did," I say tossing my bag into the backseat, "I also brought you this," I pull the straw hat from behind my back.

He laughs loudly, "What is that?"

"It's my dad's," I say placing it on his head, "I know it's not the coolest, but you need it," I lean over and kiss his nose, "we can't have you ruining this beautiful skin."

"I guess I'm just not cut out for the sun" he jokes.

"Guess not," I agree sarcastically

He looks at me, "But you on the other hand, summer looks good on you."

And he's right, my skin has turned the color of caramel, its glowing, I'm glowing but its not only from the rays of sunshine I'm positive he has something to do with it too.

He reverses onto the street, he's wearing a cut off baby blue shirt and striped swim shorts. I remember the first day I saw him wearing only them. I couldn't have imagined the lines and grooves of his body would be as they are. Darrin is big, but not bulky. His body is lean and firm, smooth and natural. You don't look at him and think wow he must work out, you look at him and think....wow he is blessed.

Today were meeting Leah and a couple girls from our old track team at the beach, we rented sea doo's and wake boards which I'm a little nervous about because I've never ridden one but Darrin assures me he knows what he's doing.

Leah waves us over and we make our way across the hot sand, she must have gotten here super early because she scored the best cabana, its close to the water and has room for up to eight people.

"You're heeeere," she runs over and wraps her arms around me, then pushes herself away rolling her eyes, "finally...what on earth took you so long?" She stares from me to Darrin, "ooooh did you guys get sidetracked?"

"Oh my god Leah!" I say smacking her.

"Darrin," she curtsey's in the sand, "always a pleasure...wait are you wearing a straw hat?"

He nods embarrassingly, "Katy says I have to."

"Do you always do what Katy says," she teases him.

He winks at me, "I do."

She laughs, "Girls got you whipped."

"Leah!" I scold her

"She places a hand on her hip shielding her eyes from the sun with the other, "I guess, if anyone is going to pull it off it's you D."