Chapter 12 - Now

Josh lives in a giant mansion overlooking the beach, I've heard about it several times but never got the chance to see it in person. I haven't seen him since my graduation party. I thought about what happened for days after, thought about texting him, about apologizing but then my whole world collapsed and the kiss, the embarrassment, even just the mere thought of him seemed so insignificant in comparison to what was really important and I've pretty much forgotten about him until now.

Darrin parks his jeep amongst the many cars lining the property, he comes around and opens the door for us.

"Such a gentleman," Leah gushes.

I realize I haven't seen him outside of the Nook and I can't help but stare at him in a new light. There is no apron, no long sleeved shirt or jeans. He's wearing a light grey t- shirt and jean shorts. His arms look strong, his legs...his everything. His body is a work of art that I am not sure even he is aware of.

The house is vibrating with music, the porch scattered with empty solo cups and people making out on the steps, this is definitely nothing like my Grad party.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Leah squeals, grabbing my hand and dragging me up the steps. I dodge a puddle of foamy looking liquid, and catch Darrin's eye silently apologizing to him, but he just laughs.

Josh opens the door and nearly gasps when he sees me on the other side, "Katy."

"Josh."

"I didn't think you would come," he says staring only at me and ignoring the fact that I am here with two other people.

"I hope that's okay."

"Of course," he shakes his head, then for the first time noticing, "hey Leah."

"Hey Joshy, so...are you going to let us in or what?"

"Oh yeah, sorry," he says stepping aside, motioning for us to come in. He looks at Darrin, then looks at me, then looks at Leah.

"This is Darrin," Leah says, "he's our new friend."

They nod at each other, "Drinks are in the kitchen, "Josh says, "follow me."

Darrin lets me go ahead of him; Josh leads us through a long hallway glancing back at me every few seconds. I knew this was going to be weird but he's more awkward than usual. The hallway opens up into a big and beautiful kitchen that is absolutely littered with garbage. I recognize a bunch of guys from the track team and some girls from my grade but the rest I've never even seen, and I get the idea that a lot of these randoms probably don't even know who Josh is.

"Is it a bad sign that all I want to do right now is clean this kitchen?" Darrin whispers to me.

I laugh, "Well it is pretty disgusting."

"Such a waste..." he smirks, "The things I could do in this kitchen."

We lock eyes and my stomach flutters, "I'm sure you could do many, many things..."

He's flirting, I'm flirting and I forget were standing in a room full of people. When I look away to catch my breath I see Josh staring at us, his lips pressed into a firm line. He stares and me and then shouts, "Who's up for a shot?" He grabs a bottle of vodka and begins filling the mini shot glasses lined up on the island.

"Are we doing this?" Leah grins.

"Are you sure you can handle it Katy?," Josh laughs, satisfied with himself. He continues to look between Me and Darrin.

"Leave her alone," Leah defends me, "you don't have to if you don't want to."

I don't really want to, but I also don't like the smug look on Josh's face, I grab one of the shot glasses and toss it back quickly without thinking, the liquid burns my throat on the way down, "Easy peasey," I say covering my mouth, a wave of PTSD surfacing.