Under the Covers

Everybody was happy to see that I was awake and moving. Nami and Robin came in and sat with me for a little while, despite me still being a little weak and not having much to say.

      They teased me lightly about how dedicated Luffy had been. The hyperactive knucklehead refusing to leave my side for the entire time I was out, apparently. That upset me a little bit, as it meant he knew when I needed my bed pan changed. Yeah. That's a thing when you are out for a while. Great, isn't it? But luckily he was not the one giving me sponge baths and changing my clothes at least. Though I felt like Robin was the biggest saint of all in that case.

        I was happy that they could all joke and laugh about it though. It seemed like a pretty taxing ordeal for everyone.

       When Luffy meandered back in, fresh out of the shower, with a bundle of food in his arms, Robin and Nami chose to excuse themselves. Normally, Nami would be pissed to even let one of the guys look in our room but today was an exception. I pulled up the covers and invited Luffy to join me. He flushed and snuggled up under the covers with me.

      We lazily sat back and munched on the food. I couldn't help but commend luffy for not making the biggest mess in the world in my bed. It was funny to me that he chose to eat like a chipmunk and could actually have tact.  I took a piece of food and fed it to Luffy, giggling as he gently grabbed the food with his teeth and smiled.

      "I feel like I haven't eaten in ages." I said.

      "You haven't."

      "Oh yeah."

      "But that's ok, you can now!"

      "How much did I miss?"

       "Eh, it's been a little while. Not too long."

      "Well I still have stitches in, so it had to be less than two weeks."

      "Chopper said you will get them out in about 5 days I think."

     I put my food down as the math set in. If you normally get stitches removed in 2 weeks then....

     "I've been out for 9 days?"

     Luffy kept eating, avoiding eye contact.

    "Nine days?!"

     Luffy stuffed a roll in his mouth. I grabbed his face and made him look at me. He chewed aggressively and swallowed, puckering his lips and avoiding eye contact.

    "I dunno. I didn't really keep track. Couldn't have been that long." He feigned.

    "Luffy! Why are you lying to me?!"

     "Ok ok. So you've been out for 9 days, give or take. It's not so bad!" Luffy flinched.

    "Not so bad? I was out for over a week!! Why didn't anybody try and get me up?!"

    Luffy looked away, his face still resting in my hands. I looked at him, waiting with baited breath.

    "I tried. Chopper tried. You weren't reacting to anything. Not even pain. You wouldn't wake up."

    My hands dropped to my lap. I wasn't just sleeping. I was in a coma.

     "I was so... Chopper said you might not ever wake up. We were all so worried."

     I sat there in shock. I thought I was reacting. I thought there was something. I thought back to when I heard someone crying. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes as I thought about it. I felt my brow furrow. That was Luffy crying. He was crying because chopper told him I may not wake up.