Unfamiliar

Luffy smiled to himself as he walked onto the deck with the crew. To him, breakfast couldn't have gone better. He still wanted to laugh as he thought about it.

   "Are we gonna go back on the island or do you think it isn't worth it?" Usopp said to Nami.

   "What do you mean? We didn't even really get to explore it yet!" Luffy whined, snapping his head up.

   "We did! You just don't remember!" Usopp said, shaking his head at him.

   "Well then I wanna explore it again." Luffy's said, his eyebrows pulling down to a frown.

   "That didn't go very well in our favor yesterday, Luffy!" Franky said, wagging a finger at him.

   "I'll go with you." Luffy's heart fluttered for a second as he turned to see Misaki smiling at him, her hands behind her back. Something about how she did it felt familiar to him. He smiled at her as the others loudly protested.

  "You will?" He said. He felt a little dumb when he said it, almost as if he shouldn't have been surprised by her offer.

   "Yeah! I've got some stores I don't mind revisiting anyways!"

    ______________________

  I had some ulterior motives too. In all actuality, I was hoping to do some investigating. That guy was ready for us yesterday. He either saw us, or someone tipped him off that we were here. I wanted to know who. I fetched the ponchos and we popped them on. Luffy eyed me as my head popped through the poncho, but quickly looked away when I looked back at him.

   Luffy grinned as he averted his eyes and put out his hand, grabbing the air like he normally would. I blushed, reaching toward his hand only to get the wind knocked out of me when he grabbed for my wrist. I felt like my heart cracked into two. My smile fell to a frown and I fought the urge to pout. My wrist?! Really?!

   Luffy dragged me through town again, just like before, only this time, we already had some ponchos. And, this time, I did not get to hitch a ride. He had me huffing and puffing quite a bit as I tried to keep up with him.

    "Come on M'! I wanna go see the Tree Top Shop!" He said, shielding his hand over his eyes as he read the sign.

   "Luffy, there is no way I am getting up there quickly! I'm not you!"

   Luffy rolled his eyes and grabbed me by the waist, hucking me over his shoulder as a yelp escaped my throat.

   "Luffy!" I yelped, making him put me back down.

   "What?!" He said, a little annoyed now.

   "Do you have to hold me like that?" I said, puffing my cheeks out.

   "Well, I gotta climb and jump. How else do you want me to hold you?"

   I stammered for a moment, not really knowing what to say. Luffy was inches from my face, watching me intently — 100% serious. I crossed my arms and looked away.

  "Something more comfortable." I said, huffing at him.

    Luffy straightened up, grabbing his chin thoughtfully. He eyed me as he contemplated, making me a little nervous. This used to be so much easier. I used to be so confident and in sync with him, but now he was unfamiliar with me, and it made it so much harder. He hesitated before scooping me up in one arm. I grabbed his neck to stabilize myself and he chuckled.

   "You better be glad you're short." He murmured.

    He stretched his hand up to the terrace of the shop and shot us up. No matter how many times Luffy slingshotted me into the air, I could never get used to it. My stomach dropped and my heart was in my throat as we shot through the air. All the while, Luffy laughed at my reaction. That is, until I stuffed my face into the crook of his neck, stifling him immediately.