Chapter Five - Christmas Surprise

Jamie's POV
The Ducks Christmas Gala is in two weeks and Trevor's been pressuring me to invite Elle as my plus one. I keep telling him to let it go, but he reminds me that if I don't take her, my outfit isn't going to be pretty.

Today, I have a later practice and Elle came straight from work at the elementary school to watch me practice.

After practice, I come out of the locker room to find Elle waiting for me. I scoop her up into my arms and give her a kiss.

"Hey baby. How was your day?" I ask. Elle shrugs.

"It was alright. My students kept begging to see you,"

"Oh really? Well, maybe I'll stop by again." I say with a smile. Elle laughs.

"I'm sure they would love that,"

I take both of Elle's hands in mine and squeeze them tightly.

"Elle, how would you like to be my plus one at the Ducks Christmas gala?" I ask. Elle smiles.

"Sure. I'd love to. I'm guessing it's formal dress?"

"Yep. I'm planning on wearing a suit." I reply. Elle nods.

"Got it. So I guess I'll wear a dress,"

"Sounds good to me. You look gorgeous in a dress," I say. Elle smiles.

"Aw. Really? That's so sweet," she says, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"You know me. I'm just really sweet," I say with a smirk. Elle laughs.

"Don't I know it. Now let's go back to my apartment. I'll make you dinner,"

"Now you're speaking my language, baby. Let's get out of here," I say excitedly.

Elle's POV
Two days later, I'm working at the Honda Center for a Friday night game.

Halfway through the game, a fight breaks out between Jamie, Trevor and two players from the Dallas Stars.

As usual, Trevor won't shut up and his mouth is what gets the whole fight started. Jamie jumps in to protect his friend and gets punch to the face for it. The punch looks like it hurt and Jamie's holding his hand to his face in pain.

I watch worriedly as he skates to the bench and the athletic trainer on the bench inspects his injury. After a little talk between Jamie and the athletic trainer, Jamie ends up staying on the bench, most likely having argued that he's fine and doesn't need any medical attention.

Sometimes I can't stand a hockey boy's stubbornness.

*

After the game, I immediately go down to the locker rooms and wait for Jamie outside. When he comes out of the locker room, he's talking and laughing with Trevor and Mason on either side of him.

I stand in front of them and Jamie looks up at me with a smile on his face. He leans forward and gives me a kiss on the lips.

"Hey baby," he says.

"Hey," I mutter. Jamie frowns.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Are you okay? You got punched in the face earlier," I say, standing on my tiptoes to inspect the bruise above Jamie's eye. Jamie laughs and pulls my hand away.

"I'm fine, Elle. This isn't the first time I got into a fight because of Trevor running his mouth,"

"Hey! How come I was brought into this?!" Trevor asks, scowling at his roommate.

"Maybe because Jimmy's right, Z. A majority of the fights he's been in is because you couldn't shut your mouth," Mason says. I nod.

"I agree. Sometimes you should just keep your mouth shut, Trevor. Then Jamie wouldn't get hurt," I say, taking Jamie's hand in mine. Jamie shrugs.