Chapter Eight - A Midseason Trade

Elle's POV
"I don't want you to leave, Jamie. I'm gonna miss you," I whine. Jamie wraps his arms around my waist.

"It's only a two week road trip, baby. I'll be back by next Wednesday, okay?"

"Okay. But make sure you call me every day," I say. Jamie laughs.

"I'll call you whenever I can,"

"Promise?"

"I promise,"

The Ducks have a two week road trip starting in Nashville tomorrow. The trip is actually a little less than two weeks but I'm still really going to miss Jamie.

Jamie gives me one last kiss on the lips before boarding the plane. I go back home and sit down on the couch, snuggling beneath a blanket and turning on The Bachelor.

Jamie's POV
When we arrive in Nashville, Trevor and I go to our hotel room. The team designated Trevor and I as roommates while on the road since we already live together back in Anaheim although I would rather room with someone different like Mason or Troy.

About an hour after we arrive, Trevor decides to take a shower and I lay on my bed looking through Instagram. My phone rings with a call from my coach and I answer, confused as to why he's calling me.

"Hello?"

"Drysdale, sorry to bother you, but I just got a call from the guys back home and I have something to tell you." Coach says. I frown.

"Oh? What'd they want you to tell me?"

"They wanted me to let you know that you are being traded, Drysdale." Coach replies. My eyes grow wide and I sit bolt upright.

"What?! Why? Where are they sending me?" I ask. Coach sighs.

"Well, this NHL prospect, Cutter Gauthier, was recently drafted to the Philadelphia Flyers, but he no longer wants to play for them and refuses to sign a contract with them. The Flyers contacted us and requested a trade. We agreed to trade you for Cutter. Now I know this isn't the most ideal trade. Believe me, I wish this could have gone on after the season was over but I told it had to be effective immediately."

"Immediately? Like how immediate?" I question.

"Well, we got you an early morning flight to Philadelphia for tomorrow morning." Coach replies. I nod.

"Okay,"

"Now, if I were you, I'd tell your family about all that's going on especially that girlfriend of yours." Coach says.

My stomach clenches at the thought of how Elle is going to react when I tell her this. She'll be heartbroken.

"Drysdale, I'm glad I could coach you and I wish you luck on the Flyers," Coach adds. I nod.

"Thanks coach. Bye,"

I hang up and set my phone down. I run my hand over my face and through my hair, staring at my phone and terrified about what to tell Elle.

Trevor walks out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. He must notice how worried I look and sits down next to me on the bed.

"Jimmy, what's wrong? You seem down," he asks. I sigh.

"Coach just called and he told me that I've just been traded to the Philadelphia Flyers,"

"The Flyers? Why?" Trevor asks.

"Some prospect named Cutter Gauthier refused to sign a contract with the Flyers so they contacted the Ducks and they decided to trade me for Cutter," I explain. Trevor frowns.