Chapter 38 (First Draft)

Penn left the elders in the hidden mountain shrine and returned quickly to Cassidy and Jackson, who were stationed at the mouth of the first cave.  As she went, she heard many stomachs rumbling with hunger, but no one, old or young, was complaining. They all appeared too tired to eat despite the protest their vacant bellies were putting up. She and the older pups would have to fix that.

Going hungry for too long would drain more than their energy. It would sink their spirits too. And, in a situation like this, it was imperative that they all maintain hope and high spirits. Especially, when they were stuck in their furs and crowded together like this in a series of cold, uncomfortable caves not knowing when they could return to their cozy homes or if they'd even have homes to go back too.

She was relieved to observe that Cassidy and Jackson, while absorbed in keeping hidden as they watched the treeline, were aware of Penn's approach. Both turned their snouts in unison to greet her with a quiet yip. Penn was relieved they were attuned to their surroundings and not just hyper-focused on the task at hand. 

This would help keep them alive if the fight came to them - to the cave - which was a possibility Penn had to admit. She had discovered the caves quite by accident and it was entirely possible that Codax and his wolves, if they ventured this far hunting the children, would also stumble onto it. But, that wouldn't likely happen until they had exhausted all other possibilities. So, Penn put off thinking about the possibility for the time being.

Penn traded her fur for her skin and asked the two teens, "No howls mean nothing to report, correct?"

They transformed as well and nodded their heads.

Jackson's stomach chose just then to growl so loudly it might have been considered a starving man's howl. He blushed with embarrassment, but both Penn and Cassidy gave a little laugh.

"Go ahead and round up a few of the older ones," she told Jackson, "and we'll have a quick hunt."

"What will we hunt way up here?" Jackson asked curiously. He remembered that they never came across much wildlife above the treeline when they came through the pass. He had a hard time figuring out just how many pika they'd need to catch to feed so many mouths.

"We'll hunt the bighorns," she told him. "I'll do the killing because it's got to be quick and clean. We can't leave a bloody trail for Codax's trackers to sniff out."

Jackson nodded and took off for the inner caves. He was excited about the chance to do something for the pack, to provide for them. And, part of him really missed following Penn around in the wild, living on the edge, and following her every move in order to accomplish something of worth for everyone's benefit. Whether that be locating a safe resting spot, scouting out a good route for the little ones, or making a big kill so everyone could eat and feel satisfied come nightfall. And out here, everything he did or didn't do mattered to the well being and safety of the entire pack.