Chapter 15 (1st Draft)

*Media pic portrays how Penn sees herself in this chapter. Poor girl!

That first week was hell for Penn. She felt like a caged animal.

She and the pups were restricted to the basement suit and the relatively small backyard of the pack house. Alpha Troy and Beta Lucas were working day and night to get to the bottom of why Arn attacked her and they did not want to expose Penn and the pups to any more threats. So, until they knew for sure that Arn did not have any co-conspirators, sympathizers or the like, they had asked her and the pups to remain on the secured grounds of the pack house.

It was a reasonable and rational request, but Penn had not been cooped up in a building with a small yard since she was a teen. Not being able to stretch her legs for miles upon miles each day was a burden she was not the least bit prepared for. She felt agitated, anxious and altogether unhappy as she padded around and around the yard until she wore a path in the manicured lawn. Her only consolation was that the children were having a wonderful time.

They ventured out daily to play, run and generally stretch their legs both in their fur and their skin. They were carefree and happy from morning until night. But this was what they were use to. They were thrilled that they didn't have to run for miles through rugged terrain each day to keep ahead of an unknown enemy. They were happy that they did not have to forage for food they could barely swallow several times a day. They were content to remain confined to such a small, pleasant space where they were safe from harm and all their basic needs were met.

Penn, on the other hand, longed for open places, rocky mountain sides, and varying woodlands as far as the eye could see. Here in the pack house, despite the size of the basement suite, Penn felt almost claustrophobic. Living in close quarters, seven nights in a row, did little for her peace of mind.

Penn realized with a heavy feeling in her heart that she would not be able to stay here much longer. Not even for the children's sake. She simply was unaccustomed to living in such a confined situation. Every day it was getting harder and harder to clamp down on her instinctual need for space, for quiet, for a long run through the wooded mountain side - a long run to freedom.

Things changed quite dramatically though the beginning of the second week in the pack house. Alpha Troy made an unexpected and unannounced visit one evening after the children had eaten.

It had been raining all day and he found the pups indoors, feeling a bit bored but occupying themselves with various things. He looked for the rogue and was a bit surprised to find her, even in the safety of the pack house, in her fur. Troy gave her a little nod as he came into the living area. Penn had heard him coming and was sitting up, waiting and watching for him to come through the door.

The children tensed with worry but relaxed somewhat when she laid back down and rested her head on her paws. Troy saw that they still took their ques from her. If she was calm, they were calm. If she was cautious, then they were too. But Troy felt unhappy to find her in her fur. It was a clear sign to him that she did not feel safe and that bothered him.

Rogue or not, she was a guest and he really did want her to feel at ease here. He sighed with frustration as he turned from her and met Cassidy and Jackson with a smile. He wasn't the least bit sure how to make head-way with the rogue, but he hoped a fun evening with the pups would help him build some meaningful connections with them. It was important that they felt Orthos was in deed their new home.

The Moon WolfOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara