Chapter 14 (1st Draft)

*Media pic is of Alpha Troy in his fur.

A deep silence ensued for several minutes. The welcome committee barely breathed. They were in a kind of stunned shock. The Alpha included.

There was no question that the rogue had been in the right to defend herself and the pups. There was also no question that Second Beta Arn had been the aggressor, that he'd acted without provocation, and that he directly disobeyed his Alpha's command to stand down. 

The committee's silence stretched out.

As shocking as the Second Beta's actions had been just moments ago, what kept them wide-eyed and astounded was that an inconsequential female rogue, without rank or pack, and with no obvious military training, had taken down a highly skilled and very powerful wolf in just a few quick seconds despite not having any warning of the impending attack.

Arn was not just the Third in Command of the Orthos pack. He was also a highly trained warrior who led the Viper's Core, the most elite task force in the Orthos pack. He had few equals among warriors and yet, he now lay dead at the rogue's feet and she hadn't even broken a sweat when she killed him. She'd made it look easy and effortless.

Her power was truly terrifying. What's more, she did not turn into a raving maniac and try to kill every living soul standing there afterwards. Though, they had no doubt she could have inflicted some serious damage if she chose to.

Rogues were known for having hot tempers and losing them quickly. They were also known for going wild and being entirely unreasonable once they got it in their heads to fight. The welcome committee had all seen rogues on killing rampages. This is what everyone knew and feared about rogues.

And yet, this rogue, who'd just killed a formidable opponent hell bent on snapping her neck, never moved to attack another soul. Instead, she let a girl of seventeen approach her, talk to her and calm her without once snapping at the child or even growling at her.

It proved that the she-wolf had full control over her faculties even in the heat of an unexpected attack. She was completely aware of the situation at hand. And, in turning back to the pups she'd demonstrated that she had incredible control over her wildness. It was the sort of control that was only achieved by a powerful will. The sort of control and willpower that was usually only demonstrated by Alphas, whether male or female.

In short, she was a ragged looking rogue who had the power and control of a full fledged Alpha. They'd never seen such a combination before. She had confounded them and rendered them speechless.

The hush could not continue indefinitely though. Alpha Troy knew he must get everything in hand. He was furious with his stupid Second Beta who now lay dead. The man left behind a mate and 2 pups, who would be traumatized by his senseless death, and for what? The attack was totally unprovoked and completely pointless. There was no honour in the man's death.

What had possessed him to attack her? Troy had never seen his Third in Command lose control like that before. He'd never seen him so full of hatred for another wolf - rogue or not. It was such a mystery that he couldn't even begin to understand the man's motivations. It simply didn't make sense, which set off alarm bells ringing in Troy's mind.